TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.

I am a healthcare worker,and I was pricked with a needle. The

I am a healthcare worker,and I was pricked with a needle. The source patient had end stage HIV. I tested at 6wks. 3mnths. 6mnths. and 10mnths. I was told it would show up by then.Im still afraid. Should I continue testing I have heard rumors of it could take ten years is this true. I also took the propholatic drugs for four weeks does this delay seroconversion. please help?Im married I need to know.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 5 years ago.

If you are negative for HIV at 10 months- you absolutely were not infected by the needle stick.

With current tests, over 95% of positives are detected by 4-6 weeks, and vitually 100% by 3 months.

You werre not infected by the stick. You don't need to worry any further. No further testing is needed from that exposure.

Take care.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.