TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

Likely saliva from HIV+ family member got on lips and into mouth (

A family member is HIV+ and one of our families 17 month old babies unexpectedly turned and "kissed" this person (which for a baby means open mouth on family members lips/mouth open, as they were talking). The babies lips looked all wet. Likely saliva from HIV+ family member got on lips and into mouth (likely?) of baby. Is this a concern?at another time - the baby quickly licked ice cream cone of positive person who had been eating same cone. In this case - positive person had already licked entire ice cream..

There is absolutely no concern here.

This would not be considered a significant exposure- There would not be significant virus in the saliva- and even if there was a minute amount, being exposed onto the baby's lips would not pose any risk of transmission.

Similarly licking an ice cream cone has zero risk.

Neither would sharing towels, or dishes or glasses.

This is just not how HIV is transmitted.

Take care.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you - but just one quick clarification and I will gladly add compensation: The baby (of course) doesn't know how to "kiss". Based upon the wetness visibly on the babies mouth, I do feel stongly that saliva from positive member likely got in babies mouth - as family member was talking and baby just lunged.

Based upon your response, you are telling me that saliva from a positive member, even if some got in babies mouth - is NOT a transmittal posibility, correct?

Thank you for what you do, especially for people like me that are very unaware of this condition and need clarification. God bless you.

Yes- kissing - even with saliva exchange is not considered a risky exposure.

The baby has no worries.

I hope your mind is at ease.