imdr06
imdr06, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  I am a certified HIV Specialist/Physician as well as board-certified Internist. I have a large HIV practice.
37530465

I had sex with a prostitute in dubai 5 days ago and the condom

I had sex with a prostitute in dubai 5 days ago and the condom broke during intercourse... 3 days later I have developed flu like symptoms which include swollen nodes, minor joint pain, dry cough, dry mouth, some minor stomach pains... I went to my doctor and they did a rapid test which was negative and said my medication for other things that I just started could be causing some of these and the stress and lack of sleep due to my fear of being HIV + from this incidedent could be making a minor flu or cold worse. Everything I read suggests that HIV symptoms usually appear around 2 to 6 weeks after infection... is it posible for me to have these symptoms due to HIV 3 to 4 days after infection?

It is not IMpossible to develop HIV symptoms so quickly, but it would be rare at 3-4 days. You are correct in that it usually takes 2-3weeks to mount an antibody response. If you are still concerned however, you can ask your doctor to do an hIV RNA PCR (viral load) test. Also, have you been checked for other things, like gonorrhea? This would be higher on my list of diagnoses than HIV, but it does sound like you have a garden-variety flu.

Dr. Sciberras,

HIV Specialist