TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

unprotected sex back on 8/29/10..My HIV test(blood) came back negative

I had unprotected sex back on 8/29/10 and from this encounter I contracted HSV2. I was tested for all STD's back on 10/10/10 and found this out. My HIV test(blood) came back negative. Her test came back negative for HIV as well. I tested again for HIV(because 1st test was only 6-7 weeks out) on 4/15/11 and it came back negative as well. Am I truly negative? Recently I have been had swollen tonsils(not sore), a lightly white coverd tongue(does not hurt or bleed) and lower back pain. Is it HIV or something else? Or am I just way to stressed out and depressed about the HSV2?

Hello-

If you are only considering the exposure from Aug 2010, then a negative test almost 9 months later in April 2011 being negative is virtually 100% sensitive in ruling out HIV. Most tests will show up by 4-6 weeks, and virtually every one by 3 months.

Of course if you had other separate exposures, the same window before a positive test needs to be considered- but just looking at the 8/2010 episode, I would reassure you.

And yes- antibiotics can lead to thrush.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What other things could be giving me these symptoms? HSV? They say I have it, but I have never had any signs of it? Could this maybe be stress induced? Mono or menegitis?

Swollen tonsils could be from a variety of bacterial or viral infections- including Strep, many anaerobes, EBV, CMV or many other infections.

Your tongue could be from thrush, or more likely it just may be a "coated tongue"- related to oral hygiene and growth of papillae.

There are also many many other causes of back pain- and HIV would not even make my list of possibilities.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is papille? I have had gingivitis and other gum problems in the past. What could cause the back pain? Kidney problems?

Papillae are the cells on the surface of the tongue.

Back pain could be from a disk problem, a nerve problem, or a muscle problem, but is likely an unrelated issue altogether.