TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

Hi, i have a question . i had unprotected sex back on march

Customer Question

Hi, i have a question . i had unprotected sex back on march 20th. and i got tested for just about everthing on april 18th. and all results came back negative. im a 21 healthy young man btw. but i seemed to have got sick a couple days ago . and i started to panic and assume it was hiv. so i went for another test this time a blood test. and of course the results were negative. i seem to be worried about this . for no reason. i just want a experts opion on the whole situation. SHOULD I STILL BE WORRIED?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 3 years ago.

Hello-

A negative HIV test at 1 month after exposure is about 95-98% accurate.

We still generally advise follow up testing at 3 months after the exposure- namely in your case the end of June.

But the likelihood is you do not have HIV.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience: I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THanks for the info i had no idea it was that high of percetage in the first month. that takes a heavy burden off my sholders i tell you what. your an angel thanks

No problem.

I still would do the follow up testing of course.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

defentlty after three months it will be 100% accturate or what?

Pretty close to 100%

Yes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay ill be sure to follow up . the 95-98 is pretty darn good sounding to me arlready , but thanks again sir

You are welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ill be sure to use this website . in the future if i ever come to a problemn or concern again

Good to hear.

Feel free to request me , if you want.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey im still feeling sick? should i still be worried? would my syptoms be of any help to the situation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i mean i have been stressed about it still. i have read that the stress can be the reason of some small symptoms . ( my symptoms are) what feels like .... slight fever occacionly. stomach not as hungry as usuall. no caugh or anything. no swollen thoat. no rash. no throwing up. just nausea sometimes and feel week. but i think its just me being stressed out. What do you think? should i get tested again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i took my temp at lest five times. and they all said 98.4 im not sure if its cuz i have a cruddy thermometer or i actully have a bug and its lowered my temp . please get back to me id sure appreciate this dr. BUG
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since i told my dad that my headach slash fever ish thing has bein comin and going. he claims its allergies cuz we havnt had rain in over four months. Maybe thats why iv been feeling paranoia over a average headach... please get back to me . ill be sure to give a bonus if you help me out ... thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Other. sry i didnt mean to do this ... i just was tryin to find away to get a fast awnser plz get at me asap thanks

It does not sound like you have a fever now.

Nausea and headaches are very nonspecific and could be anything from a cold virus to allergies.

It does sound like you are quite nervous and anxious and I am sure anxiety is contributing to your symptoms. This is not highly worrisome for HIV. I would still follow up with testing at 3 months as I advised before, but none of this makes me think of HIV. I would suggest seeing your family doctor for a proper examination if your symptoms continue .

Good luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so you think im pretty over thinking this huh? I should see a doc for these symptoms? .. its been like two half weeks in and out. which is why ive been so paranoid because im rarley sick. but idk you say none of these makes you think Hiv? i figured im prolly okay form hiv. because i havent had serious fever 98.8 is as high as i noticed it. and no awfull chills. if i do start to noticed anything particluier then shoudl i really worrie?

I am sure this whole issue has you very concerned- this is natural. That often leads to paranoid worries and exaggerations of otherwise minor symptoms.

Having said that, it would be difficult for me to be sure you don't have anything else, and irresponsible of me to be definite without examining you myself- that is why I suggest seeing your doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay so im maken myself " sick to my stomach " as they say.. and i should realize i most likey just have a common bug.

That is certainly possible, as I noted.

But if symptoms continue see your family doctor for a routine evaluation.

Good luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes sir, sry im just young and worried . thanks for your patentce . you can go help someone else who prbably has bigger prblems then me. (hopefully not) . But , my first question was should i get tested again befour the 3 month mark? or just go see dr. for a routine check up

I would still wait to the 3 month mark.

You have not written anything that would raise my concern to change from that routine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
k, im sry can you explain that last part please>?

I am no more worried about HIV than I was before- As I previously advised you should have the follow up testing at 3 months to be sure. Nothing you just wrote changes that.

Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay thanks for the closer, will be sure to keep posted

OK good luck to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one last thing. is it possable to go through Seroconversion , but be healthy enough to have minnor symptoms?

The symptoms of seroconversion can vary in severity- In some they can be mild.

But again your symptoms are not very suggestive of this.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks you sir im going to the family doc tmrw and i will be as straight up as i can be .

Sounds good.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just out of curiosity what whould those symptoms be?

Here is a good review article in the topic. The first table shows the symptoms.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990800ap/535.html

I will now have to stop this interaction unless you choose to "Accept" my answers- I have already responded multiple times to you and you keep asking further questions.

I would again respectfully XXXXX XXXXX to see your family doctor in follow up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wow that actully just made me worrie a little more .. well maybe i shouldnt have asked ha
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my left lypniod or tonsil is gettin swolen but,im still aware that i have a good chance of being clean. and have a common bug . youve been a lot of help sir thanks for the good luck

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hey how are you dr. bug? i went to my local doctor and was told i had a sinus infection , reson why iv come to you today again is because it been about two months of the off and on syptoms of this sinus issue between alergies and sinius infection . because of this i never went and got tested for hiv again , i had just orderd a oral test in the mail yesterday should be here soon ,. my question is . do you think that a sinus infection could be resulted from hiv? iv read to much online but my two differnt doctors kind of laugh at me when i ask could it be because of hiv. so i kinda figured i was being redicoulious . i have gone back to my doctor three time getting anti boics and nasal sprays. they looks down ,throat and said yep sinus issues. but the werid thing is hasnt succsefull gone away ? i think its cuz allergyies combined with it along with i drink dont always stay on schedule with my anti biotics. do you think that 5% chance sould have me still be prone to hiv ?once again i still havent had diarea or vomited & no rashes & nothing odd just, mild fever and sinus issues? i have woken up with chills slighty acky with small fever but i think thats normal bugs cuz i seems to beat it half way through the day