TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

Yesterday while playing at a Chic-fil-a playground there was

Customer Question

Yesterday while playing at a Chic-fil-a playground there was a little boy who was playing there with his sister and my 2 toddlers. The little boy started crying hysterically bc his older sister had taken off his socks or was trying. I went to get the mother (yes she was sitting just inside the door and there was a window there but was oblivious to him crying.)

Apparently he had a boo boo that was covered with a bandaid and was told not to take his socks off. My 3 year old daughter was on the slide beside him when his bandaid came off. I did not see any visible blood coming out of the cut but there was blood on the bandaid. It all happened so fast bc my 3 year old was coming down the slide and I couldn't stop her. My daughter does have 2 old scratches on her foot. I'm not sure how old they are and she has a hang nail on her big toe. Not sure about my 2 year old - he was on the other side of the slide but came over there.

Should we be worried about possible HIV exposure or HEP from this incident. My husband says I'm being silly but all I heard from the mom was comforting her son and said they'd leave it off overnight and put one back on. I didn't see any blood on the slide but definitely blood on the bandaid.

I guess I just don't really how HIV or HEP is spread really so any thought of a random bandaid freaks me out. Should we have them tested? Are there signs or symptoms of infection?

I know you get it from HIV but I've never thought about anything else.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  cbellmd replied 3 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER ewfm5s6m: Transmission varies according to the type of hepatitis virus. In general, hepatitis A is mostly through feces (stools) from infected people. Hepatitis B and C are spread through bodily fluids.

There is no risk of contracting HIV infection in daily routine activities and by casual contact with HIV positive person. However, we do know that an infected person's blood is rich of HIV then you may want to have your children tested for both hepatitis B and C and HIV if this will give you more peace of mind.

Signs of infection for hepatits B and C include:

Half of all people infected with the hepatitis B virus have no symptoms and may never realize that they have been infected. Adults are more likely to develop symptoms than children. For those who do get sick, symptoms usually develop within 1 to 4 months after exposure to the virus. The initial symptoms are often similar to the flu.

Common symptoms of hepatitis B include:

• Appetite loss

• Feeling tired (fatigue)
  • Nausea and vomiting

• Itching all over the body

• Pain over the location of the liver (on the right side of the abdomen, under the lower rib cage)

• Jaundice (a condition in which the skin and the whites of the eyes turn yellow in color)

• Dark urine (the color of cola or tea)

• Pale-colored stools (grayish or clay colored)

Signs of hepatits C:

Many people infected with hepatitis C have no symptoms. When symptoms are present, they can range from mild to severe. The most common early symptoms are mild fever, headache, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Later symptoms may include dark coffee-colored rather than dark yellow urine, clay-colored stools, abdominal pain, and yellowing of the skin and/or whites of the eyes (jaundice).

Signs of HIV:

When first infected with HIV, you may have no signs or symptoms at all, although you're still able to transmit the virus to others. Many people develop a brief flu-like illness two to four weeks after becoming infected. Signs and symptoms may include:

• Fever
  • Headache
  • Sore throat
  • Swollen lymph glands
  • Rash

Hope this information helps!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I had asked this be moved to a section for HIV specialists.
Expert:  cbellmd replied 3 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER ewfm5s6m: I still hope that the information submitted and that you get from even the specialist you seek is what you need to give you as parent the peace of mind that you certainly need in the questions presented in regards XXXXX XXXXX and HIV exposure of your children. I wish I could have been of greater help!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
If a customer wishes to receive another answer from someone else - the other doctor/professional should stop responding.
Expert:  cbellmd replied 3 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER ewfm5s6m: You are welcomed to allow anyone whom you choose to respond to help to answer your questions and concerns! However, your question keeps coming back to my list for a response and that part is not in my control.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The same doctor continues to answer my question. He says this is beyond is control but I've used this service before and I know that they can ignore the question and do not have to respond.
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 3 years ago.

Hello-

I would be happy to respond .

First off, I would NOT be concerned about the described exposure.

Even if the child in question had HIV or Hepatitis B or C, you do not describe any significant risk to your kids- as it is extremely unlikely there was any transmission of blood to them, and even if there was, it sounds highly unlikely that they had any exposure to non-intact skin or mucus membranes.

I would agree with your husband that this does not sound to be of any concern.

Unlike the comment above, I would not even recommend the need for testing your kids- the risk is just so unlikely that it is not needed.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your response. I suppose other than "safe sex" I don't know much about HIV - I've never thought about it but with your kids you are much more inclined to think about everything and anything.

I did not see any blood other than on the bandaid so my daughter wasn't in a position for transmission? She did not touch the bandaid; only the slide.

So no testing needed? Does visible blood have to be present for transmission into a large visible cut on someone else? What about blood present on a bandaid - just for my general information - is the virus in that blood (if present) still able to infect someone else?

I understand you are just being a very cautious and concerned parent.

But again your description does not lead me to be worried and if I saw you in my office I would not do anything further- certainly I would not consider PEP from this . This does not sound like your daughter really had any exposure- and even if she touched the bloody bandage- it would not likely have placed her at risk without any direct exposure to an open wound.

I would not do any testing, because I think this is all a non-exposure.

Yes, blood on a bandaid could be contagious- but it would have not be directly inoculated into an open sore- the skin is a barrier and would be protective otherwise.

She is not at risk from this episode....

TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience: I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.