TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.

Recently i had sex with a sex worker in Thailand. It was protected

Recently i had sex with a sex worker in Thailand. It was protected but during intercourse she had her period. Why on earth she did not stop, or tell me, or do anything other than work that night i have no idea. By the time i realised we had been going at it for about 30-40 seconds. I was wearing a condom which did not break so the only part of me that we exposed to the blood was the part of my ballsack (dont know medical term) just below the shaft of the penis and the area around the top of the penis, it still seemed like quite alot of blood. I have no noticable skin breaks, lesions, cuts or sores around this area. I am wondering what the risks are of cacthing hiv this way. I know in general it is hard the transmit hiv through heterosexual sex, especially from woman to man. I also know blood has the highest viral load of the bodily fluids but given the condom and no noticable skin breaks am i at risk? Also i am presuming that most infections in men occur when the virus gets through either a skin break on the shaft of the penis or the urethra?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Hello jimmyhat-

I would say your risk is quite low given that you were wearing a condom, and the skin around your penis was intact. The skin surface is generally a very good barrier to HIV and so even if she had HIV ( which we do not know), getting her blood on your skin/ scrotum would not be an extremely high risk.

I would think it is reasonable to do follow up tetsing for HIV, syphillis, and hepatitis B, but overall I would say you are not very high risk.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.