TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

I am a nurse and have never had a needle stick or exposure

I am a nurse and have never had a needle stick or exposure but work in ER and worry from time to time about bringing anything home to my children. My son and I have the same type of sonic toothbrush and I know we have accidently grabbed each others from time to time, which is always rinsed off after use. From my readings it does not seem likely to be able to transmitt the virus this way due to its fragil nature, (just worried about protecting him if I was ever exposed) can you confirm this for me.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Are you specifically asking about HIV infection?

If so- the risk from a toothbrush is negligible.

Fist off, you would need to be infected- which it sounds like is quite unlikely.

Then, for any risk, the toothbrush would have to have blood on it - such as if you had gum bleeding, and then someone else use it within a couple hours before it dried up ...

The sequence of these events are quite improbable and unlikely.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.