TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

i am going back on kivexa with kaletra after having been on

i am going back on kivexa with kaletra after having been on truvada and kaletra, i'm changing because the truvada was not giving good results for my kidney's, i came off the kivexa before because of it's bad reputation for heart problems, my doctor also want's me to come off kaletra and possibly go atanzivir because the health trust is making cutbacks, i'm feeling worried and pressurized, and would greatly appreciate some advice
Category: HIV and AIDS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Do you know your CD4 count and viral load.

Have you had resistance testing done to tell if you have any resistance mutations?

Are you having side effects from the kaletra?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my last cd4 count was 569 and my viral load was under 46 copies, about seven years ago when diagonised the hospital did a resistance test which showed some possible resistance to certain drugs but it was not conclusive, the kaletra has raised my cholestral level but not into the danger zone.

The reason I asked about resistance is to question if you have resistance to any of the drugs you are considering.

If the change is not for virologic failure, and just due to side effects ( renal effect of the tenofovir), then the change sounds reasonable.

Recent data has shown that abacavir likely is NOT dangerous to the heart- which was a prior concern, so I would not have a big problem with the Kivexa rather than Truvada.

As for kaletra vs Reyataz- I generally use a lot more Reyataz as it has less effect on lipids and is better tolerated than Kaletra.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.