Chad
Chad, Technician
Experience:  17 years experience lead equipment technician and troubleshooter Mining equipment expert
25333099

I have rust in the bottom of the fuel tank of my D4G cat

Customer Question

I have rust in the bottom of the fuel tank of my D4G cat track dozer. It has been cleaned out (scraped out by hand) with the tank out of the machine. Is there anything wrong with placing one or more strong magnets in the tank to capture any additional rust chunks that may happen in the next few years. They will be placed in the bottom of the tank away from the intake tube and the drain plug. The plan is to attach a small stainless cable to the bottom of the tank filler area and attach it to the magnet for occasion checking and cleaning.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Chad replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** me see if I can answer this for you.

Putting a magnet inside the fuel tank shouldn't cause any problems, but I'd like to offer a few suggestions.

Water sitting in the tank is what causes rust issues as I'm sure you know. IF you don,t get it out, the tank will continue to rust until you have a fuel leak. Draining the water off the bottom of the tank after every use/day will go a long way toward stopping the rust from getting worse. Also what a lot of people don't realize is that 90% or better of the water that gets into fuel tanks is from condensation. The easiest way to keep condensation from forming in the tank is to always park it with a full tank of fuel. I know that is not always possible, but if you plan on it sitting more then a few days, I highly recommend that you leave the tank full of fuel. Water is the worst enemy of a diesel engine not just to the fuel tank. It can easily damage pumps or injectors. They make a few different additive to add to fuel to help remove water. Caterpillar even has one of there own. It wouldn't hurt to try one of those too.

If I can be of any more assistance, please feel free to let me know and don't forget to rate my answer if I have help you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I hadn't thought about using a fuel additive as well as filling the full after each use.
Expert:  Chad replied 5 months ago.

Glad I could help. If you have any more questions please let me know and don't forget the answer rating!

Thanks again for letting me help!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.