Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin,
Experience:  Field Technician at Thompson Tractor Company
29889544

I have IR VR642b telehandler. The forks will only move 1

Customer Question

I have IR VR642b telehandler. The forks will only move 1 direction,(down) no matter what direction you move handle. Will develop pressure lock from both sides if continue to work valve lever. There are 2 relief valves on the cylinder, I changed the larger 1 out thinking this was my problem, but it didn't make any difference. Any ideas?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 11 months ago.

Have you checked the valve on the crowd and lift manifold?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dont even know what or where to look for this..I have no books or breakdowns for this unit. Where do I look?

number 3 is the is the valve I am talking about

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok Thanks, ***** ***** this valve and removed relief. Spool inside seems to move freely with slight spring pressure, all o rings seem intact. When I remove both hoses going to the cyl. they both have flow when operating valve, no matter the direction valve is moved.

Does everything else work but boom up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
boom works all directions fine. The fork tilt is the problem. No matter what way valve is operated, the fork tilt cyl moves out(down) I removed both relief valves on the cyl, after installing the cyl seemed to work correctly, but for maybe a second or two, then it returns to only moving out(down)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when I stated that both hoses have flow, I mean at the same time. When valve is operated oil comes out both hoses at same time?I'm assuming that the reason cyl goes out is because larger surface area of piston for oil to push against, as opposed to retracting.

This is the tilt manifold should be some relief valves on it check the seals on them make sure they are not blown

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have inspected both reliefs closely. I do notice a slight difference. If I put air to the pilot pressure hole on side of relief, one will move the spool in, the other the spool does not move , also the non moving spool is sitting down in the valve slightly deeper (maybe 1/16th") I believe this difference may be my problem, but dont know which one is acting correctly. It seems that it takes very little air pressure to shift spool on relief that is moving, maybe too little.
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 10 months ago.

Yes I would replace the relief valve with the non moving spool if it is stuck that is likely causing you fork tilt problem

Any update today?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just ordered new relief, should know if problem is fixed in a couple days.

Ok sounds good

Any update yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still waiting for replacement valve