Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

CATMAN, ONCE AND STILL AGAIN I NEED YOUR WISDOM. 04 CHEV

Customer Question

HELLO CATMAN, ONCE AND STILL AGAIN I NEED YOUR WISDOM. 04 CHEV C6500 CAT ,THE TOW TRUCK RUNS OK. I HAVENT REPLACED THE FUEL PRESSURE REG EVER 440000 MILES, REPLACED THE CRACKED CYL HEAD,REMAN INJECTORS,OIL COOLER. COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE THE INTAKE HEATER
MODULE IS. I READ IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE ON REAR L SIDE OF HEAD. ALL I SEE IS A COMPUTER BOLTED ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE BLOCK. ITS GETTING A LITTLE COLD IN MORNING AND INTAKE HEATER ISNT WORKING .I HAVE POWER TO RELAY.I HAVE THE WIRING DIAGRAM .JUST CANT FIND
MODULE. WHEN STARTING COLD OR ALL SEASON (SUMMER IT ALWAYS SMOKES WHITE UNTIL THERMOSTAT OPENS(ALMOST)THEN SMOKE GOES AWAY. HAVING 440 K MILES .(I CAN DEAL WITH THE OIL BURNING SMOKE THOUGH.WHEN DRIVING INTERMITTANTLY IT WILL BURN WHITE SMOKE WHEN WARM(MOTOR
RUNS ALITTLE ROUGH AT THIS TIME. THEN WHEN ITS NOT BURNING WHITE SMOKE IT IDLES FINE.I REPLACED THE,INJ PUMP INTAKE RELAY, INTAKE TEMP SENSOR.NOT VERY OFTEN LOW POWER LIGHT GOES ON AT LOW POWER OF COURSE. DOESNT LAST LONG.ITS BEEN RELIABLE. RECENT CODES 15,38,39,49,48?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.

Only the older models have a heater module. Your C7 engine does not. The ECM turns on the heater by applying a ground to pin 8 of the rear most ECM connector. The truck is giving 12 power to the relay on top of the engine. So when the ECM wants the inlet heater on, it just applies a ground on pin 8. The heater should come on everytine the key is turned to the on position.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked voltage key on ,red wire is ground other had 5 volts,when I turn my key on the intake heater light on dash does not come on,yes bulb could be burned out,but I thought there would also be a light on the center console also. thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also with the heater not working would it smoke white that much . but when warm goes away most of the time. intermittently low speed rough idle smokes white . then may go away.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.

Normally the engine only smokes in cold weather without an inlet heater.

What is the temperature where you are?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IM IN KENOSHA WI ,MIDDLE SIXTYS IN THE MORNING, I HAVE 12 VOLTS AT RELAY FROM ALT OR POWER DIST BOX, SMALL WIRE RED GROUND,OTHER KEY ON 5 VOLTS
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information.

You should not need the inlet heater in 60 degree weather. It is mainly needed in cold temps below 25 degrees. If your engine is smoking at 60 degrees, it's not because of the inlet heater. I would suspect the engine is smoking due to something else. Could be a clogged air filter, worn injectors, or wear in the cylinders.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.