Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  I am a John Deere Ag Tech with over 10 years of expirence.
32685367

I have a 185 john deere mower the hydro transmission will

Customer Question

I have a 185 john deere mower the hydro transmission will move but has no power.and you can move it without pushing the release lever
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question. Can you tell me if this problem came on slowly or all of a sudden?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
It would appear that you may not be online at this time. Let me give you some information that may help you with diagnosing this problem. The hydrostatic transmission on your tractor is a sealed unit that consists of a small variable displacement hydraulic pump and a fixed displacement hydraulic motor. When trying to diagnose faults with hydrostatic transmissions there are two things that we look at first. Do you see any signs of leaking hydraulic oil from the transaxle unit itself. If you do see signs of leaking oil then there is a good chance that the unit may be too low on oil to operate properly. Secondly is the belt in good condition and spinning properly. You mention that you can push the tractor easily without pulling the release lever, have you recently had a rear wheel of? If a wheel has been recently removed it is easy to lose the key, this essentially makes it possible for the tractor to free wheel. If you have no signs of leakage, the belt is good and spinning properly, the tractor pushes easily with out pulling the release and the problem has come on slowly then the news isn't good. Once the internal components become worn enough to allow oil to bypass there are few options. You can drain the oil and refill with a heavier oil, 15w 40 diesel engine oil or 80w 90 gear lube for example. If the heavier oil resolves the issue or improves operation then the transaxle is near the end of its life span and should be replaced once it no longer operates at an acceptable level.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I will be stepping offline for the day however if you need additional information simply reply and I will get back to you when I am next available. Thanks,Kevin
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to check back in to see if there is anything further I can do to assist you with your question?
Thanks,
Kevin