catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

I have a Cat 416B backhoe. It doesnt get used much and is

Customer Question

I have a Cat 416B backhoe. It doesnt get used much and is just on the farm these days. Awhile back the muffler pipe rusted off and normally this is not a problem but with the recent crazy rains in Texas it seems to have gotten some water into the exhaust. It will not start and while turning it over I can hear some water gurgling and it wont start. There does not appear to be any water in the oil. Need advice on what to do to keep this from getting worse.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I hope first you will stop the water getting into the exhaust. At least fabricate something with a rain cap.To get the water out of the engine, you can remove the injectors. Just be careful to see that each one has the copper washer installed on the bottom of the injector. Some may stick in the hole but a screwdriver can usually pick them out.As long as you install each injector back in with one and only one copper washer, you will not have any issues. None or two washers will cause trouble.You can reuse the old washer if it is not broken or get some new ones from the dealer. A gasket is also near the top of the injector and may need replacing if it tears. I have reused these often and just keep them wet will penetrating oil to avoid problems.The only danger here is with the injectors out, the water will come out with deadly force. KEEP CLEAR WHEN CRANKING THE ENGINE! Force the water out and spray a small amount of oil in the cylinder and crank the engine again. Install the injectors and crank the engine over with the lines slightly loose at the injector to purge out the air. Once fuel is seen, tighten one line at the time to force out the last of the air and the engine should start. Keep the battery charged so cranking speed will help purge out any air left in the pump. I will be away so today but, can reply more later if you need further help.Thanks, Donnie