Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

WE JUST INSTALLED A CLUTCH IN A C-12 CAT FLYWHEEL WAS CUT

WE JUST INSTALLED A CLUTCH IN A C-12 CAT FLYWHEEL WAS CUT AND REINSTALLED, TRUCK HAD VIBRATION AT 1100 RPM AND 1500 TO 1700 PREVIOUS WITH NEW CLUTCH AND NEW HARMONIC BALANCER VIBRATION IS STILL THERE IF THE PREVIOUS PERSON THAT INSTALLED THE FLYWHEEL FLATTENED THE DOWEL PIN, WOULD IT CAUSE THIS VIBRATION?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me! I will try and help you out.

I have seen many dowels flattened before and it did not cause a vibration. Normally vibrations come from four different places.

The first and most common is the clutch assembly.

The second is worn or loose motor mounts.

Faulty harmonic balancer.

Lastly is a connecting rod. This normally happens just after an overhaul though. It is not something that happens later in service.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

IF YOU LOOK IN THE INSPECTION PLATE THE WHOLE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY WOBBLES WHEN THE CLUTCH IS UNBOLTED FROM FLYWHEEL THE FLYWHEEL WOBBLES

Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Oh I see. My mistake.

If it is wobbling from the dowel pin being flattened, Oh yes. That will certainly cause the engine to have a vibration. When it is wobbling like that, the engine will have a vibration.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

the flattened dowel pin is the only thing we can think of motor has been put on diagnostic computer and comes out great no codes all pressures great oil filter has been cut opened and inspected, no metal whatsoever the clutch was replaced before we bought the truck about 9 years ago not sure of the capability of the installer truck has had vibration it just seems to be worse now when our motor guy installed the flywheel i guess no one even thought to check the dowel pin just installed and thats it

Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

If it is wobbling from the dowel pin, I'm sure that is your vibration problem. Once the remains of the dowel are removed, the vibration should go away.

Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

when we unbolted the clutch from the flywheel and then bolted it back the vibration was a little worse at this point we are ordering a new flywheel so we would remove the old dowel pin and insert a new one before installing new flywheel? also motor and cab mounts do you recommend the oem rubber or the energy suspensions neoprene?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Either rubber for the engine mounts will work just fine. Never had one not do a good job.

Yeah installing a new dowel is a good idea. Remove the old one is not hard at all. It is soft in the center.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

we assume a new flywheel is necessary what do you think? would just replacing the dowel pin and installing this one correctly work? or is that taking too much of a chance? At this point we are willing to replace flywheel as well in case it has trouble as well

Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

It will not hurt to replace the flywheel. But it may not be necessary. If the dowel is the problem. The flywheel should be fine. If you want to replace the flywheel, it is good piece of mind.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thank you so much for your opinion we are very appreciative waiting to see a second mechanic on wednesday going to have a flywheel and dowel pin ready hope our vibration disappears

Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.
You are very welcome. I am happy I could help.
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience: 23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.