Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years

04 freightliner no speedometer

04 freightliner no speedometer
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. When you replaced the VSS sensor into the transmission did you turn until stop and back it out 1/2 to 3/4 turn then lock the nut? also take a close look at the harness and connectors for .any broken, loose, corroded and damage wiring dont be afraid to pull on the wiring to see if any of the wires may have gotten broke inside the insulation or tugged on something during the engine swap Reply back and let me know

Customer:

Hi Dan,thanks for fast response,did all of that many times,am convinced problem is the year difference in engine,as there are several electrical plugs not used on the non egr engine ,around old v pod location especially.Do you happen to know which pins on ecm are for vss,and do the 2 wires from vss go directly tp ecm Thanks Tom

Expert:  FIX-IT replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.i can help you with this..

click here

there you are ,the vss wires go into the plug towards the rear and the bottom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes what I mean is do they go directly to ecm or somewhere else.As I mentioned I have a t2 trans and when I ran 2 new wires from vss to ecm pin e2 and e3 I believe,trans wouldn't shift. thanks Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
04 freightliner 12.7 Detroit,removed engine with egr and replaced with non egr engine,used 04 harness everything works but speedo,ecm says no signal,changed sensor,didnt help,checked all connections etc .any help would be appreciated.has t2 trans
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct they go directly from the sensor to E2 and E3. Are you getting any codes with this? What code numbers? Do you know what version of software both ECM's are flashed with by chance? Sounds like either a harness problem or possibly a software problem. Have you tried your old ECM to see if you get speed signal? It will throw codes but just for test purposes? I'd try that and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no longer have old ecm,hooked 2 new wires from vss to ecm still no signal,and it put trans in some mode where I only had 2 gears.as I said it has a t2 trans,and the vss definitely has some effect on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

04 freightliner Columbia,12.7 Detroit,where do the wires from vss go before they go to ecm,if I go directly from vss to ecm,i lose my trans.need help asap Tom
Expert:  Buddy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom and welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out. On the lightning T2 transmission. The vss sensor wiring goes to the transmission ecm. From there it goes to the engine ecm via data link.

What i am almost certain going on with your vss problem is your engine ecm parameters are wrong in that ecm. You will have to carry the engine ecm or truck somewhere that has program capabilities and program it for a FRLO-15410C-T2 transmission and set the inputs and outputs for it in the ecm. If you still had old ecm, this would be pretty easy to do. Without the old one, it takes a little bit to get all the parameters set correctly. I am sure the ecm in it now is set for manual trans and the inputs and outputs would be all wrong.

I see problems like this quiet often because the engine ecm is not programmed correctly. I hope this helps you out

Expert:  Buddy replied 1 year ago.

Here is also a link to the transmission manual. On page 123 shows a diagram of the wiring for the vss

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@roadranger/documents/content/rr_trts-0580lr.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Buddy,I think you nailed it.What a frustrating couple of days.Thanks again,Tom

Expert:  Buddy replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Tom .I had similar problem the other day with a meritor ess trans with opt idle. It took me a little while to figure out which wires went were so I could program it to the correct outputs. I hope that helps you get fixed up
Buddy, Technician
Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years