Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

need to locate oil pressre sensor in 94 freightliner fld with

Customer Question

need to locate oil pressre sensor in 94 freightliner fld with a cat engine,the truck runs fine for a couple of hours,but then shuts off with no warning lights on the dash,wait about 15 minutes it stars up fine,when u turn the key one click the oil light stays on,but when you start truck the oil light goes off and stays off,a couple of people said ignition relay switch could be doing this also, but i changed out those switches,truck still cuts off with no warnings why
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Could you get me your engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ra609326

Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information Charlie.

Unfortunately that is not an engine serial number it looks like a vin number.

Do you know if the engine is a 3406 PEEC engine or a 3406E engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

3406 peec

Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
I see. Thanks for the information Charlie.

The oil pressure sensor can be located in two different places.

The original location was on the back of the fuel system inside what is called the transducer module. It is the square box on the back of the fuel system with a set of wires coming out.

The second place is in the block under the turbo. Some PEEC engines received an update to re locate the oil pressure sensor. If ties has had the update, you will see the oil pressure sensor in the block under the turbo.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.

Hey Charlie.

It is normal for the oil pressure light to stay on with the key in the on position. If the oil pressure is causing the engine to shut down, there should be a code in the ECM for low oil pressure. Also, if the engine will not start back up after it shuts down, a low oil pressure warning will not cause the engine not to start.

It sounds like you have either a power supply problem or faulty ECM. I have seen this before.

When an engine shuts down and has no check engine lights come on and will not restart, most often I find the ECM has lost power or the ECM is faulty.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Hey Charlie. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.