Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.

Looking for an expert on Galion 303 Road Graders. Old grader

Customer Question

Looking for an expert on Galion 303 Road Graders. Old grader a friend has had for years, just recently it locked up in 3rd gear. How do we get it out? Thanks.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Wayne,
I will help you with this,
Good Morning

I have worked on these Years ago, 15-20 years
Remove the top cover from trans, with gear shift
I thing 6-8 bolts, 3/8", 9/16 Head
lift cover off, and then with a screwdriver (large) push the gears into neutral position
you will see the sleeves,between the gears that the forks go into
They all need to be in the middle of gear , not against gear
Hope this helps you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey, thanks. However, isn't helping. Took off the inspection plate, 10 in long, 8 in wide, domed up 6 in high. Can only see slide rods, only one gear. Slide rods, about three: one will not move, even with crow bar to leverage; other moves but slaps back to original place, like spring tension. Is there another inspection plate, maybe on the side, that gives access? The grader is late '40s/early '50s model. Still need your expertise...

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for that
there is one on the side , that is where a PTO could be mounted
all three of the rails, have notch in them and lined up
the one that don't move is forward or back of the others
Trying to go by memory here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, this isn't helping. Which side? What should we see?

I'm afraid that going by memory doesn't work for us. Pls refund our monies. If you have access to mx books, pls let us know...

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
HI
I will opt-out , maybe nother expert could help you
Please do not reply back to me, or it will lock question back to me

Thanks, Wayne