DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

i have a cummins n14 celect plus in a 96 international.it fires

i have a cummins n14 celect plus in a 96 international.it fires and runs off starting fluid but wont stay running.i dont think its getting fuel.is there a way to test the pump and injectors?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.Are You getting a check engine light in at key on that comes on and goes off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the ignition was a little "rigged" when i bought the truck two days ago.i have a pushbutton hooked up to start and i think everything is getting power.there is an engine warn llight that comes on on the dash

Yes the check engine / stop engine light must come on at key on/. This means the ECM had powered up. With out the ecm powered up the engine will never start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im pretty sure all the lights came on.the stop engine included

Ok next step is to check the fuel shut off solenoid. Make sure you are getting voltage to the solenoid wire from the ECM. If you remove the wire from the post and touch it to the solenoid it should click and spark. This means it is working.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im not with the truck right now.i bought it from an auction in memphis and i can only work on it till about 6pm.im at a hotel not far from the auction.ill be going back tomorrow morning to work on it more.i know alot about cars but very little about heavy trucks.i only saw one wire going to the fuel pump and it has power when key is on.is the selonoid attached to the fuel pump?

YES that is the fuel shut off solenoid wire if that wire attached to the pump has power than suspect the entire fuel shut off vale and guts have failed. replace the valve and internal guts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thats kind of what i was thinkingcould the injector pump itself be bad?.i dont suppose you know where i could find these parts on saturday in memphis.would you be available by phone/txt tomorrow?i wont have internet service when im with the truck except for my smartphone.i would be happy to compensate you for your time either through ask.com or your prefered method.

The only way to check the pump is to remove the fuel supply ling and crank the engine . If it will not suck your skin up it is bad and not creating a suction. other than that suspect the FSOS. I can only contact you by the site. I'm bound by their rules
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok.ill check that first thing.thanks.ill try to find you again if i have any more questions

Ok just reply to this post, I am always here Thanks again
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience: 16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the fsos and still nothing.i put an air compressor to the vent hose on the tank and it pushes fuel to the check valves but not hard enough to run.when the fuel pickup line is removed there is no suction at the injector pump.i then removed the internals from the spacer under n the fsos so I knew there were no obstructions.still nothing.im almost sure its the injector pump

If there is no suction or very little at the fuel pump inlet than the pump is failing. while cranking you should be able to put your thumb over the fitting and it will be sucked in enough to let you know it is working. The pump can either be rebuilt or replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do i figure out the hp on these motors?are the celect and celect+ pumps the same? pictures all look the same.im still messing with this truck.its still in memphis and im back in florida.im hopeing to find the pump so i can go back and fix it and drive it home.thanks again

Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 1 year ago.
Hp rating will vary. It depends on the configuration, application an CPL# provide your dealer with the engine serial number for proper parts info