DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

I have a 2000 N14 Plus with a sputtering problem on take off

I have a 2000 N14 Plus with a sputtering problem on take off in every gear, at idle sometimes an on hard pull. I have replaced all seals in fuel lines, replaced all check valves, had all injectors check. replaced all filters, replaced fuel/water housing (recore) fuel filter at injection pump is haft full after running . eng#11975683, cpl2592 What do i need to check next ?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today. You need to check and replace the the Engine position sensor. If you find oil in the connector the sensor is bad. remove the sensor from the back of the gear housing and check the face of it bubbles or cracks means it is bad. you can also OHM out the sensor 1000 to 2000 ohms os good Check OHM's hot and cold some sensors will check out ok but still fail
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Truck runs good an strong once you get going. crank for a little bit before starting.

Ok that can still be the EPS. You just provided 2 different symptoms do you have a sputter or a hard start.What "check valve'S" did you replace. please provide locations.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

check valve under truck were both fuel lines come in to one. on ecu cooler plate, plus there is no codes coming up, if it is eps , I hope so , I have spent a lot of money trying to fix this problem.

Ok the only Check valve that would affect the engine performance is the one on the ECM cooling plate. Now those were also known to leak after age. The only way to check that is to remove and Pressure test. Check the EPS for signs oil oil or damage to the face of the sensor. The EPS will not always throw a fault.The ecm cannot tell if the face is damaged or there is oil present. The only other reasons for your issue are air getting in the system or a failed fuel pump pulsation damper, and pressure regulator. In that case the fuel pump will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it act like air in system. but i will check the eps, can the pump be check on on the truck or take off to check?

The PT pump would need to be removed from the engine to be checked. There is a test stand that Cummins will hook it up to and make sure it is working properly, The test stand simulates engine operation. Pressures, and operation can be verified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok , that what i will do. If the next two thing dont fix the problem, then i will send to junk yard or sat it on fire. thanks for your help.Laughing

HA I have said that so many times. Thank You

DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience: 16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,