Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.

is the c15 acert engine a good engine. what kind of problems

Customer Question

is the c15 acert engine a good engine. what kind of problems ussually go wrong with them. i am looking at a 2007 international 9400i with c15 cat twin turbo. 512000 miles with full maintenance records. very clean. is this a good engine and truck?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Yes, it is a very good engine. Originally when the twin turbo C15 came out it did pretty well but had a few minor oil leak and rocker arm problems. But these problems have been taken care of and are no longer an issue.

If this engine has full maintenance records and is in good shape I would recommend getting it.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have heard about some problems with the acert engines but have never owned a cat. something about a lawsuit? just dont want to buy a bad engine. have u heard anything about this.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have heard about the lawsuit. It is about the regeneration system on C15 engines with the emissions device DPF also called the diesel particulate filter. These engines have a serial number that starts with SDP. When these first came out there were some problems with the regeration system. Just like the oil leaks and rocker problems I spoke of earlier, these problems have all been taken care of.

If you have an earlier C15 with a serial number of MXS or NXS these engines were not involved with the lawsuit.

Do you know the engine serial number or if the engine has a DPF?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is a mxs serial # & no dpf. it says 2006 model on serial # sticker.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

That's good news. You are correct. The MXS is not an emissions engine and has no dpf. This engine is not involved in any lawsuit. As a matter of fact, many people are looking for MXS engines to replace their SDP dpf engines. I think you will be very happy with this engine.

Let me know if you need more help.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me kow if you need more help. If my answer was helpful, please select a rating of Good or higher. Thanks!