DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

cummins 530 hp..Engine oil gets hot and throws alarm.

Hi, I have isx cummins 530 hp. Engine oil gets hot and throws alarm. What are all the possible causes? Thanks
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.The most common cause is a failed oil thermostat, This is located in the oil cooler housing and is responsible for allowing hot oil to pass thru the oil cooler elements to cool the engine oil. The oil cooler elements should also be checked during this repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks,

I'm also getting some codes. I was wondering if this can cause the proble.
graphic

Are any active? These are unrelated to your issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't know if they are active. The driver sent me this picture. I was assuming it was the oil thermostat. I was just wondering if anything else can cause this problem. The truck won't be here till the middle of the week.
I would check the Ecm calibration and ensure it is up to date for those other codes .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX else besides a bad oil cooler thermostat cause the oil to get hot?
A failed oil temp sensor. or if there are coolant temp codes that would indicate the engine water is overheating allowing the oil not to cool . no indication of that than head for the cooler and T-stat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX never got hot. Just the engine oil.

The truck is 1600 miles from home. The only time the alarm goes off, is when he's going up a mountain. I would think he should be okay to drive it home without causing severe damage to engine. What do you think?

Yes the engine will shut him down to protect it's self, If needed have him take his time. Check the TSB on cummins there were issues with the oil T-stat seating in the housing correctly. In that case the entire oil cooler housing would have to be changed
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience: 16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX replace the thermostat when he gets home. I don't have acess to cummins TSB. If I have any questions while replacing it, I'll get back to you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning,

The Truck is in my shop now. I am not sure where the oil cooler is. I assume it's the housing where the oil filter is screweed into. And I assume the termostat is on the front part of the oil cooler housing. Am I correct?

Where is the accept button so I can accept your anwser?

Yes you are correct the oil filter is attached to the cooler and the oil thermostat is inside the housing
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks,

From where do i access the thermostat?

If you remove the cooler it is accessed from the front behind the big pipe plug, if you try it on engine. The alternator and other components need to be removed
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks I decided not to remove cooler. If I leave cooler on engine and remove the thermostat from front. Do I have to drain coolant? Will I have to remove the water pump?
Yes coolant needs to be drained, water pump, alt also need to come out for access, once you remove the pipe plug the t-stat is held in by a snap ring. Inspect the stat for signs of movement or damage this can result in replacing the housing as well, torque plug to 75 ftlbs