Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

bobcat: hubs..I guess the outer bearing and seals need to be replaced.

Customer Question

i have a 773g bobcat and the axl hubs move quiet a bit. I guess the outer bearing and seals need to be replaced. Is this a expesive fix or is something I can do. I tried to pull the hub off but had no luck in doing so. It is on their pretty good
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

curtis b :

The hubs don't come off, the axle has to be removed by going into the chain case, removing the sprocket on the end of the axle shaft, and then the axle with hub can be removed. Then the seal and bearings can be accessed.

curtis b :

Are the axles leaking fluid? If not, I would not disturb them. In and out movement is not a problem, just back and forth, up and down is problem.

curtis b :

??

Customer :

The axle hubs are removable according to the maintenace manual but I could not remove them

curtis b :

All I ever saw, you had to remove the shaft from the chaincase.

Customer :

The previous owner used tracks over the tires and these are not good for any bobcat or skidsteer the machine onlly has 1500 hrs on it.

curtis b :

Yes, tracks are hard on anyones unit.

curtis b :

Are the seals leaking?

Customer :

The maintenace manual shows a hub puller and I used one but the axle also has a key way. I tried the puller and I could not get the hub to move. If I replace the outer bearing and seals do you think i will need to replace the inner. Yes the seals are leaking on two axles

curtis b :

If the manual shows hub to come off, what holds it on?

Customer :

A 1 1/4 bolt in the end of the axle

curtis b :

Ok, so it uses bolt on end of axle. The inner bearings rarely go out. Sounds like you just need bigger puller!

Customer :

I used a heavy puller and a porter power between the hub and machine and still had no luck

curtis b :

They all have to come from the inside!

Customer :

What comes from the inside

curtis b :

The Case and New Holland axles have to come out to change seals.

curtis b :

Do you have torch available to heat the hub?

Customer :

Yes I could probably heat the hub

Customer :

I am worried about damage to the axle

curtis b :

That is what it is going to take, if puller and port a power didn't do it!

curtis b :

Sounds like you really don't have a choice.

Customer :

IS this type of repair expensive if i take it to the dealer. I bought this machine and it is in very good mechanical condition but running the tracks are never a good idea. I worked for cat for 6 years and there drive system is totally different. Cat is the easiest machine to work on

Customer :

Cat void warraties if tracks are usd on there skidsteers

curtis b :

You know the hourly rate at dealer, figure it will be twice what they tell you it will cost.!

curtis b :

$1200 to $1500 would be my guess.

Customer :

Yeah I bought this machine to run a brush cutter and to start a secondary business. My main business is steel erection. I am tring to get some contracts clearing underbrush and right aways

curtis b :

Sounds like good idea. Let me know how it works out. Thank you.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.