Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

our 2009 international prostar will not re gen properly

Customer Question

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

What engine do you have?

Is it a Cat?

When you say it will not regen properly, could you elaborate on what you mean?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
c13cat accert 2009 prostar inter. pulled over pushed regen button, reeved up and ran for 5 min then check engine light came on.will not go through the right process to regenerate.

1 turn off engine
2 set brake
3turn on engine
4 push regen button
5 eng. reves up for 5 min then backs down to normal rpm
6 check engine light stays on
7regen light stays on
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
If the check engine light is coming on, there is a fault and a problem with the system. Since the engine revved up like it was going to ignite and regen but did not, it sounds like the system is failing to ignite. I have seen this many times before.
There are 3 items that are the main cause of a fail to ignite. The first is a faulty spark plug. I would remove and inspect it first. I would also take a good look at the spark plug wire, it may also be faulty. If you have a spark tester, that is the best thing to use to check for a spark.
Next is plugged filter fittings. These fittings are located in the small manifold on top of the engine. When these get clogged, the ARD head does not get enough fuel to ignite. It is not really possible to inspect these for bing the problem, I would recommend replacing these and then trying a regen.
And lastly is a faulty ARD head. If the system has a spark and is getting fuel, the ARD head is most likely faulty. Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.