Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

cat 3406B fuel injection pump (mechanical) removal and install.

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out. You will need to get a 6v4186 timing pin to remove and install the pump. There is. Plug on the side of the pump housing. Thatbis where the timing pin goes. Rotate the engine clockwise from the front until the pin goes in the pump. then remove the timing advance.
Let me know if you need more help.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
In order to check and make sure the engine is on number 1 TDC, there is a plug in the flywheel on the turbo side of the engine. If you remove the plug after putting the pin in the pump. You should be able to screw a 3/8 bolt into the flywheel. With a bolt in the flywheel and the pin in the pump, you can install the pump and torque down the timing advance. It torques to 35 foot pounds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the past I have used a pump pin on a 3208 pump, I assume this pin is similar. There is a plug half way down the side of the pump that is on a 45 degree angle, there is another plug just behind the gearcase at 12 o'clock, on the front end of the pump.Do I need to pin the engine?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
The pin for a 3208 is different than the 3406.

The plug halfway down the side at a 45 degree angle is the one to pin the pump. After putting the pin in the pump, I always like to check thee pin hole for the engine at the flywheel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the tool for turning the engine over with a 1/2 inch ratchet.Where is the pin hole for the engine?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
There should be one on each side of the bell housing. But the one on the turbo side of the engine is easier to get to. The older 3486 engines do not have a place for that turniing tool. If it did, it would be on the turbo side of the engine on the bell housing too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can the tool be made out of a piece round stock?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have seen guys do that. Just make sure it fits snug in the slot.
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience: 23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.