Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
6825259

replacing..n14 cummins in-frame..removing..rod bearings

Customer Question

When replacing the main bearings and road bearing in a N14 Cummins in-frame which is the correct procedure for removing the main and rod bearings
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Wayne,
I will help you with this,
Good Afternoon,

the correct way , is do the mains, and plastic gauge each one,
you can pick this up at any Auto parts store, ask for the green, not RED
tear off a small piece , lay in the bottom half of the shell, torque to specs,
remove then measure it with gauge on paper in came in , get 2 packs 2 bucks ea.
then do your rods, and same thing measure the gauge,
what happens when you torque it down, it will smash the wax, and this will give you your oil clearance
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.The expert before told you the correct way to Check oil clearance for the bearings. I answer your question correctly.

Loosen the connecting rod capscrews.

Do not remove the capscrews.

Hit the connecting rod capscrews with a rubber hammer to loosen the rod caps from the dowels.

To install:

The rod cap alpha characters must match the alpha characters on the connecting rod and must be installed with the characters aligned to prevent damage to the connecting rods and crankshaft. The locking tang of the connecting rod cap must be toward the camshaft side of the cylinder block.

Torque Value: 278 n.m [205 ft-lb]

To remove the upper main bearing shell, install the main bearing roll out tool, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN into the oil hole of the main bearing journal.or you can tap out the old bearing with a this screw driver and remove with a heel bar.

to install

The upper main bearing shells have a groove and an oil hole to provide crankshaft lubrication. The lower main bearing shells do not have grooves or holes. The groove for the number 7 shell is not in the center of the shell. The wider part of the number 7 shell must be installed toward the flywheel end of the cylinder block.

Torque to 255 ft lbs

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Morning,
My fellow expert, is trying to assist
He is basically telling you same as I did ,
don't forget to use the Plastic gauge
to check for oil clearance
I have been rebuilding engines for 34+ years , never having a problem
also I would never suggest a steel screw driver to remove bearing shell,
this could cause Damage to crank, gouge or mar the crank journal, then you have big problems, use a flat piece of aluminum stock