Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

188 diesel will not start only puffs a little black smoke i need help

I have a early case 580ck with 188 diesel will not start only puffs a little black smoke i need help
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

curtis b :

When did it last run? Could the fuel have gas in it? Do you have fuel to the injection pump? If you loosen the high pressure lines at the injectors, does the fuel spurt out when cranking? Does it kill with cable or shut off with the key?

Customer : Has not run for about 6 months has the manual pull cable to kill yes it is getting fuel to injector lines no start black smoke only?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
If you have fuel to the injectors, and have black smoke, pull the air cleaner , then if no help, have you tried a little starting fluid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i pull the air cleaner gave a little shot of either still no start but when i use starting fluid it does not want to turn over as good. Is the black smoke normal?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Black smoke means too much fuel, not enough air. The starting fluid should only be used i very small doses. Or it could mean there is gas mixed with the fuel. Nothing plugging up the exhaust?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i have the muffler off and air cleaneri have checked the timing on the pump both lines r lined up and the flywheel is set on 8 i need help
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked the fuel quality?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No i have not does diesel go bad?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Yes , diesel can go bad. Just like gas, it gets old and starts growing microbes in it, making it brown looking. I would at least change the fuel filters and bleed the system again, and try to get good, clean fuel to the injectors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok i will change fuel and try to bleed the system again whats the procedure to bleed system?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
I didn't see a priming pump so I gather it is gravity flow from the tank. Just open the bleeder on the filter and let the filters fill up, close the bleeder at the filter and open the bleeder on the injection pump cover. Bleed till all that comes out is furl. The close the bleeder. Then loosen the injection lines at the nozzles, and crank engine until fuel is spraying from he lines. Then tighten the lines and see if the engine will crank and run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok heres where i am i was trying to start engine and lift front bucket at the same time so i could drag it closer to the garage and the dam thing fired right up and runs great only if i hold the lift lever for the front bucket i am getting closer but what the heck would cause that? As soon as i let go of the lift lever it kills the engine?with the lever in the neutral spot i only have to pull or push just a little and it start the engine rite up. When i pull the levers all the way like if i was going to lift or lower the front bucket the bucket works great. Please help thank u for all your help so far
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The hydraulic pressure is not going back to the tank. When trying to start, the hydraulics are loading the engine. Look at the lines from the control valve back to the tank. Do you have a crushed or pinched line? Oil has to free flow through the control valve or it has pressure when cranking. The oil is redirected to the cylinders when you work the control levers. Has the control valve been apart?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. The valve has not been apart only thing changed was a hydro hose to the back gannon so does this mean i have to have a blockage in a hose? Where should i start to look for this problem
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
start with the hose you changed. Maybe it is blocked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again heres where i am i have narrowed it down i think to the rear gannon valve assy bacause when i connect the 2 hose toghter to complete the hyrdo flow it runs great supply and return when i take off the supply hose and crank engine i have fluid flowing out when i hook that 1 back up and disconnect the return. And crank i dont get no flow i think i am getting closer. Does this mean i have a bad gannon control valve? What do i need to do?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Locate the Return from the backhoe valve and check it. What you are calling a gannon valve, the flow of oil should be straight through, back to the tank. Can be caused by one of the control spools being in a working position, or the return can be restricted, pinched tube or bad hose. I remove the return hose from the gannon valve and see if it is returning. If not, it is in the valve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok i have flow into the pump but nothing is coming out of the return can the valve be rebuilt? Or what should i do? Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Are all the spools in the neutral position? If they are, you will have to find where the valve is plugged. Not much can go wrong with them. I would think you have a valve shifted out of neutral, blocking the return.??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I seems that all the valves r in the neutral position when i blow air into the inlet valve and i pull the relief valve out on the top side oppsite of the inlet i get air from. The port when i put it back i get no air flow?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The relief is not going to stop the flow, the stoppage is past the relief.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts