Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

385 pete with a c13 acert cat...Could it be the crank sensor?

Customer Question

I have a 385 Pete with a c13 acert cat. Just got it it will crank some times and then it won't. Could it be the crank sensor?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Are you saying it will crank over and not start?

Or not crank over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it will turn over. Just not fire
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.

Your engine has a crankshaft sensor and a camshaft sensor. The camshaft sensor is the primary starting sensor. It is possible it is faulty and causing your problem. You should be able to use a multimmeter and ohm it and see if it is bad. The sensor is a two wire sensor on the driver side of the engine near the front.

Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What does the code mean when the check engine light blinks six times pause and then two times
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Code 62 is a low coolant level warning. I woukd check the level and see if it is low. If the coolant is full and your are setting this code, you most likely have a faulty coolant level sesnor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would that cause it not to crank?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
I would first suspect the cam sensor. Since it is the primary start sensor, it can cause your starting problem.

If it is OK, you could have a low fuel pressure problem while cranking. Your engine needs at least 45 psi to start. If it is low, I would suspect you have a faulty fuel pressure regulator in the filter housing, or a weak fuel transfer pump.

Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.

When the engine will not start? What do you have to do to get it running?

Do you keep cranking on it?

Do you use either?

Or do you just have to wait a while?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it will start one day and not the next just got the truck so i havent done much with it yet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it will start one day and not the next just got the truck so i havent done much with it yet iwill get a new crank sensor tomorrrow and let you no what happens
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
OK. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Replaced cam sensor. That's not it. What next??
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

The next thing I would want to check is the fuel pressure while cranking. I have seen low fuel pressure cause by a faulty fuel pressure regulator. It will allow the fuel to leak down over night and cause hard starting the next morning.

When the engine will not start, what do you do to get it to start? Does it sputter and sound like it is out of fuel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just got it cranked with either. And cut it off and it cranked back ok. What do you think??
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 years ago.
I see. That sounds like the fuel is leaking down out of the engine. I have seen this before. I would first suspect the regulator is faulty. It is the job of the regulstor and the fuel transfer pump to hold fuel in the engine. When it leaks out, one of these items is causing it to leak down.