catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

Cat D3-B Dozer - I need to know how change sprockets and brakes...

Customer Question

Cat D3-B Dozer - I need to know how change sprockets and brakes... how long it will take, what tools I will need, how to do the complete job. Where to start..ect.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX XXX-XXX-XXXX chuck
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.

catmastertech :

Do you have the serial number?

Customer :

I am Cindy, Chuck's wife. I am getting it for you.

catmastertech :

Ok, thanks. It is a great help to know exactly the machine I need to research.

Customer :

D3B 23Yo1188

5GO501

eng. 45v33126 1w0162

Customer :

does that work?

catmastertech :

Yes, that is the main numbers I need.

Customer :

ok. what next.

catmastertech :

Let me see what I can find and I will post somethings right back.

Customer :

thanks.

catmastertech :

Here is something on the steering clutches. All the linkage and the seat framing must be remove to access the steering clutches and brakes. REMOVE STEERING CLUTCHES

catmastertech :

Why do you want to remove the sprockets? This is very involved and needs special tooling to perform the removal and installation of the sprockets.

catmastertech :

Here is information to remove the sprockets. SPROCKET HUBS

catmastertech :

The time is usually about a week if all goes good. Allot of stuff to move out of the way and put back to complete this job. It can run into to weeks when you have problems.

catmastertech :

Is that helpful? Do you need anything else?

catmastertech :

Did I loose you? My window says you are still in the chat.

catmastertech :

I will check back later to see if you need something else. Please let me know if you need anything. Thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer :

what kind of brakes does this dozer have? do they have brake shoes or hydrolic pump? how do the brakes work?

Customer :

what I really would like is the pages out of the service manual emailed to me for this dozer and the job I need to do. The sprokets are worn out and one brake does not work good.

catmastertech :

You have the information about removing the steering clutches, the brakes are the bands around the outside of the drums. They are mechanically applied and stop the drum turning after the steering clutch is released.

catmastertech :

If steering clutch is not released during the first part of the brake application the brakes will force the clutch to slip and damage them or wear out the brake band.

catmastertech :

Maybe this view will help you see how they work. All D3, D4, D5, 931, 933 and 939 tractors operate the same way. BRAKE ADJUSTMENT

catmastertech :

Remember, steering clutch MUST release first, then the brake applies afterward. The pedal should not hit the firewall. A good adjustment may stop one inch from the wall.

catmastertech :

To test the steering clutch control, push a pile of dirt and apply the brake half way, that track MUST stop pulling. If you press the brake to the floor to get the clutch to release, the valve cam and roller bearings are worn or someone has be adjusting the steering rods.