sevn103
sevn103, Journeyman
Experience:  Cummins,International certified diesel mechanic
20119161

International Prostar with a Cummins ISX has a code for "Engine

Customer Question

International Prostar with a Cummins ISX has a code for "Engine Variable Geometry Turbocharger Actuator #1". Code is SPN 641 FMI 13. We just replaced the turbo based on a recommendation from the local International Dealer, but now we have a problem that wasn't there before. "Stop Engine" light is on as well.
What does this mean?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help you.

:

FAULT CODE 2387VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) - Mechanical System Not Responding or Outof Adjustment

Overview

CODEREASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 2387PID: S027SPN: 641FMI: 7/7LAMP: Amber SRT:VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) - Mechanical System Not Responding or Out of Adjustment. The smart VGT controller has detected incorrect stop limits, or the VGT isunable to move to the closed position.VGTtravel maybe limited.QSB6.7 CM2250/QSL9 CM2250 - VGT Actuator Driver Circuit

Circuit Description

The variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) is electronically activated by the VGT actuator. The VGT actuator is a smart devicethat receives information via the J1939 data link from the primary engine electronic control module (ECM). The VGT actuator performs its own diagnostics and reports errors back to the primary engine ECM using the J1939 data link.

Component Location

The VGT actuator is located on the turbocharger bearing housing.

Conditions for Running the Diagnostics

This diagnostic runs continuously when the keyswitch is in the ON position or when the engine is running.

Conditions for Setting the Fault Codes

This fault code will set when the actual VGT actuator position can

not

meet the commanded position for more than 10 seconds.

Action Taken When the Fault Code is Active

The ECM illuminates the amber CHECK ENGINE lamp and/or the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) immediately when thediagnostic runs and fails for two consecutive trips.The VGT actuator will continue to attempt to meet commanded position, even when the CHECK ENGINE lamp is on. Active and stationary regeneration of the diesel particulate filter will be disabled.The EGR valve will be closed.Engine torque will be reduced if the engine is operated for an extended period of time with this fault active.

Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code

To validate the repair, perform a key cycle and leave the key in the ON position for 1 minute.The fault code status displayed by INSITE™ electronic service tool will change to INACTIVE immediately after the diagnosticruns and passes. If the fault code does

not

go inactive after key ON, it may be necessary to drive the vehicle for at least 5continuous minutes.The ECM will turn off the amber CHECK ENGINE lamp after the diagnostic runs and passes.For On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) engines, the ECM will turn off the MIL after three consecutive trips where the diagnosticruns and passes.The “Reset All Faults” command in INSITE™ electronic service tool can be used to clear active and inactive faults, as well asextinguish the MIL for OBD applications.

Shop Talk

Large boost pressure leaks can also cause this fault code.The aftertreatment system

must

be inspected for potential damage after making the appropriate repair outlined in this fault codetroubleshooting tree. Progressive damage to the aftertreatment system can possibly have occurred.Refer to Troubleshooting Fault Code 2387.

Last Modified: 19-Jul-2010

QSL9 and QSB6.7 (FIS2883477)(152-fc2387) VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) - Mechanical System Not Responding or Out of Adjustment246 / 466

Expert:  sevn103 replied 2 years ago.
Did you reuse your old actuator, if so how did you install it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We did reuse the same actuator. We removed it from the old turbo and reinstalled it onto the new turbo with a new gasket. If I'm not mistaken it was 4 bolts.
Expert:  sevn103 replied 2 years ago.
Ok that's your problem, to install the actuator you need to time the turbo, then you need to have cummins insiite to calibrate the old actuator to get it ready to install, then after you install it there is another procedure in insiite that checks the turbo if it passes its good if not you need to start all over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can it be driven 15 miles to a vendor to have it calibrated?
Expert:  sevn103 replied 2 years ago.
If eng shutdown is setup you may die out, you should see if they could come to you, because coolant has to be drained, if you remove the actuator and just have them calibrate it cost should not be more than an hour plus travel, at least that's what we charge
sevn103, Journeyman
Experience: Cummins,International certified diesel mechanic
Expert:  sevn103 replied 2 years ago.
Where you able to get this taken care of?