Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I'm trying to adjust the three pressure plate fingers on a

Customer Question

I'm trying to adjust the three pressure plate fingers on a 4020 diesel using a JDE-61 gauge .The I & T shop manual does not show a good picture on this procedure .Do I have the right gauge, does the flywheel have to come off the tractor ?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 years ago.
HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name is***** will try to help. The gauge you listed is the correct gauge and no the flywheel does not have to come off. Although it should come off to be resurfaced if you havent done so and are replacing the clutch....

JACUSTOMER-kyvkbbgq- :

The manual says fingers just touch center leg of gauge ,I did this but adjustment was off,where should fingers touch center leg. I did this touching the bottom of center leg.Poor picture in manual.

JACUSTOMER-kyvkbbgq- :

Are you looking into my question?

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Yes . I will get back to you.

JACUSTOMER-kyvkbbgq- :

Thank you

HeavyEquipmentTech :

When you resurface your flywheel, be sure to have the edge/flange machines equally as well so it will be back into factory specs. Very important.

JACUSTOMER-kyvkbbgq- :

I am not resurfacing the flywheel I am trying to adjust the clutch fingers. The I & T manual I received is very dark and the picture is very hard to see. Where on the center leg of the gauge do I touch. Do I touch on the side or the bottom of the center leg of gauge.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

The gauge should have 2 sides for different tractors correct?.

JACUSTOMER-kyvkbbgq- :

Yes

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Is this a new clutch? If so, you really should resurface your flywheel or your new clutch will wear unevenly and prematurely. You can do this with the flywheel off, however once you have everything set, you will have to mark the pressure plate to make sure it goes back on exactly as you set it. Sometimes people will bring the clutch and flywheel into the dealer and have it done and then just mark it before taking the pressure plate off the flywheel. Im still a bit unclear as the gauge is a preset dimension. How are you using the gauge?

HeavyEquipmentTech :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-Clutch-Tool-Set-JD-3010-3020-4010-4020-4520-/270944752685?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D270925745476%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7329572411003149658

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Copy and paste that link and you will find clearer pictures under the description that should answer your question on the positioning of the gauge. Let me know if this helps

JACUSTOMER-kyvkbbgq- :

Thanks will check this out

JACUSTOMER-kyvkbbgq- :

That is the exact gauge I have so in looking at the gauge the center leg has three sides a bottom and a left and a right. Do the clutch fingers touch the bottom of the center leg or does the finger touch the side of the center leg of the gauge which would be the right side of the center leg of the gauge

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Ok you are adjusting your height of your fingers so it would have to be the bottom to get the specified height. Also make sure you follow the procedure to engage the PTO clutch when adjusting them.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Let me clarify that. When adjusting the PTO fingers, make sure the clutch is engaged per the manual. That would be the side of the gauge with the step that is stamped for your tractor model. Let me know if you need any further assistance. If you are satisfied with the information I have provided click accept. Thanks for using JA