sevn103
sevn103, Journeyman
Experience:  Cummins,International certified diesel mechanic
20119161

Series 40 detroit Diesel engine in a 1998 motor home

What can you tell me about the Series 40 Detroit Diesel engine in a 1998 motorhome? I am looking for any good or bad information
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  sevn103 replied 4 years ago.
The series 40 is a 6 cly, heui engine, basically international makes the engine and electronics, detroit supplies the programming for the ecm, fuel system is from cat. There are good and bad points on this engine, common failures are liner packings leaking( means its time for overhaul) it is a wetsleeved block so overhaul is not that expensive. Other common failures are injectors, and high pressure oil pump. I would get the service records for it, have a oil sample done as well before purchase. It is a good strong running engine if maintained well. I usually lean towards cummins or cat, but the dt466e/series 40 is a good engine. I would find out when it was overhauled and get a oil sample.