tj
tj, Mechanic
Experience:  10 years of john deere,agco,new holland,cummins
28098184

I am trying to replace the seals in a JD hydraulic cylinder

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the seals in a JD hydraulic cylinder (maybe 1 /14" cylinder)....I am having a problem figuring out how to get the piston out of the cylinder...Where the piston enters the cylinder there is a collar...This collar has a snap ring on it...I have removed the snap ring but there is nothing else that I see that can be removed...The collar has no holes for a spanner wrench...The cylinder has no holes in it....Is the collar threaded into the cylider? I can send a picture if needed
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  tj replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. There is a snap ring inside of the barrel. so now that you removed the outer one take a large punch and a hammer and tap the cylinder gland down into the barrel and you will see a internal snap ring the remove it then pull hard on the cylinder and it will come a part

If you need any more help just ask

If you agree with my answer then please accept,feedback is also welcomed THANKS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so the cylinder gland is what I was calling the collar?
Expert:  tj replied 5 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok...thanks....let me go give that a shot
Expert:  tj replied 5 years ago.
ok sounds great
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the trick for getting the nut off the end of the piston
Expert:  tj replied 5 years ago.

Hold the end of the rod in a vice and use an impact wrench

What is this on?

THANKS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the previous question about getting the nut off the end of the piston is in regards to the JD hydraulic cylinder we had discussed earlier on a different thread....I managed to get the pistons out of the cylinders but was only able to get one piston apart (the nut off the end) and replaced all the seals...I have broken several socket parts and pieces trying to get the nut off the second piston...I guess I will have to take it to a shop and get them to break the nut loose for me....thanks for your help
Expert:  tj replied 5 years ago.

no sorry i ment what model of a john deere is this cylinder off of just would like to know so if i know any tricks to help take it apart

THANKS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its a 1975 JD 1020 with #48 bucket...I'm replaceing the seals in the two lift frame cylinders on the bucket
Expert:  tj replied 5 years ago.

It should just unscrew

THANKS