spanky
spanky, Journeyman
Experience:  I have 30yrs Experience in semi-trucks,Cat,Cummins,Detroit
65057319

I am looking at a Perkins 4 cylinder diesel engine in a forklift

Customer Question

I am looking at a Perkins 4 cylinder diesel engine in a forklift that won't start. Cranking speed is good. Won't even start or do anything when starting fluid is sprayed in the intake manifold. I removed the air inlet system to spray directly in the intake, nothing happened. It doesn't even smoke out of the exhaust. I did have vacuum when I covered the intake port with my hand. The injector pump is putting fuel to the injectors- I cracked a line at the injectors while cranking. Any ideas? This project may take a few days to trouble shoot and complete, so be patient and I am also. I have a repair shop, but this one has me stumped.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. When did engine last run?

curtis b :

No smoke tells me the fuel is not getting into the cylinders.

curtis b :

Is the engine kill by the key or a pull cable?

curtis b :

If by key, be certain that the electric solenoid is turning on the fuel when key is turned on. If cable be sure cable is retuning the lever to the run position.

curtis b :

I suspect that the fuel is not getting to the injectors under pressure. Which more times than not, is the fuel shutoff. You really need to verify that you are getting fuel squirting out each injector line when cranking, not just small amount of fuel present.

curtis b :

I would change fuel filters, bleed the system, till air is out, the loosen the injecor lines, and crank till fuel is squirting, then tighten the lines and see if it fires. Many times diesel will not fire on either if there is no fuel present.

Customer:

The engine has a 2wire solenoid that comes from the switch, with the switch on the little solenoid on the end of the injector pump clicks. It also has a lever control on top, that is not use. I am getting a shot of fuel when I crack the high pressure line at the injector(like when you bleed), while cranking. So I am fairly sure that the injector pump is turned on and allowing the pump to supply fuel to the injectors. I think it has a CAV/ Lucas pump like I have seen on some older ford tractors.

curtis b :

You need to remove the solenoid and check its operation out of the injection pump. Just because it clicks, doesn't mean its working.

curtis b :

When did it last run?

curtis b :

Have you pulled rocker cover to be sure rockers are working? Maybe camshaft is broken, not opening the valves.?

Customer:

It ran in the last 45 days. One of my confusing issues, is that it does nothing on starting fluid-no smoke, no rattle, no nothing while cranking. You would think it would snort, fart, backfire or SOMETHING, but it just cranks like the fuel is shut off. I am looking at this thing at a remote site, and I want to try to get it brought to the shop, which would make things easier for me to check.

Expert:  spanky replied 2 years ago.
Do you have truck now so far I agree with curtis did you verify anything yet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The forklift is out in the country on a worksite, so I am hampered with travel time. I will try to get him to get it here in the shop.... I do feel suction when I put my hand over the intake round port where the air cleaner system hooks up to the intake- it does have suction and holds my palm/hand there while cranking. I am kind of assuming since it develops a vacuum/pull here that the camshaft/valves are moving/okay... It doesn't have a funny or uneven skipping, cranking sound like when there is a varying compression problem like head gasket,valve, or timing chain gear issues.. I am stumped why there is no smoke from the exhaust. I think I may remove an injector and mount it to the line and see if it actually is spraying fuel. I am kind of thinking there is a compression problem, and I need to watch the oil filler cap for vapor or blowby pressure next time I manage to go out there.
Expert:  spanky replied 2 years ago.
yes and also make sure exhaust is not plugged also remove shutoff solenoid and check that
spanky, Journeyman
Experience: I have 30yrs Experience in semi-trucks,Cat,Cummins,Detroit
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Let me know what you find , thanks.
Expert:  spanky replied 2 years ago.
Just checking in did you find any info for me yet?