Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

I M WORKING ON A C7 HEUI PUMP WAS LOW ON PSI REPLACED IT GOT

Customer Question

I 'M WORKING ON A C7 HEUI PUMP WAS LOW ON PSI REPLACED IT GOT RUNNING DIDN'T RUN THAT WELL RE SCANNED WITH MY NEXIS GRAPHIC CHECKED PSI ON HEUI NOW HAVE 1600 PSI DROVE STARTED TO HUNT REPLACED INJECTION ACTUATION PSI SENSOR RAN BETTER WHEN GOT HOT RAN BAD AGAIN NO RPMS BUT WASN'T MISSING GOT CODES OF PID 42 FMI 11 INJECTION ACTUATOR PSI CONTROL DRIVER,164 0 INJECTION ACTUATION PSI OUT OF RANGE 164 2 INJECTION ACTUATION PSI SENSOR ERRATIC 164 11 INJECTION ACTUATION PSI SYSTEM PULLED VALVE COVER TO CHECK FOR ANY SPRAYING OIL FOUND OIL COMING OUT OF BLEED HOLES ON ALL INJECTORS THESE ARE THE 4 HOLES IN INJECTOR BODY WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG THANKS GREGG
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Many times when you have a HEUI pump failure, metal debris comes out of the HEUI pump and damages all the injectors. I have seen this many times before. It's kinda a known failure mode on Cat C7 engines.

Out of the codes that you mentioned, are any of them active? Does the check engine light come on when the engine is running or you are driving it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THE CH. ENGINE DOES COME ON WE HAVE NO ACTIVE CODES BUT COMES UP IN LOGGED CODES AND EVENT CODES THANKS GREGG

Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information Greg.

Yes it sounds like the injectors have been damaged by the metal debris that comes out of a HEUI pump sometimes when they fail. I have done this repair many many times.

To confirm this, you will find very small metal debris in one of two places. You can get a sample of oil off the dipstick and rub it on your finger. If you look real close and see little shiney pieces, there metal in the oil. You may also be able to remove the regulator on the back of the head and find metal too. If you see metal in either place, the injectors are full of metal and will need to be replaced. Sorryy, I wish I had better news.

Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THE HEUI PUMP SEEMED ABNORMALY HOT TO TOUCH AFTER DRIVING AM I JUST BEING PARANOID WILL IT OVERHEAT IF INJECTORS ARE DAMAGED ALSO DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE INJECTOR REMOVAL TOOL # XXXXX XXXXX ALLEN SOCKET FOR INJ. WE DID FIND SHAVINGS ON OIL STICK
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.

It is normal for the pump to feel hot after operation. it will not overheat when the injectors are damaged.

There is a cat removal tool for the injectors, but you really do not need it. You can use a ladies Foot pry bar to get them out. Thats what I do. If you found shavings on the dipstick, you will most likely see more of them on the injectors when you remove them.

Make sure to lean out as much of the metal debris as you can when you have all of them out.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
JUST GOT BACK FROM PICKING UP INJECTORS FOUND VERY LITTLE FILINGS ON INJECTORS WE BLEW OUT HOLES AS BEST AS WE COULD I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT THANKS GREGG
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GOT STARTED WAS A BITCH TO GET STARTED LOTS OF WHITE SMOKE AFTER RUNNING FOR A FEW MINUTES CH ENG. LITE CAME O LET RUN A LITTLE LONGER LITE WENT OUT STOPPED ENG.CLEARED CODES TEST DROVE RUNS GOOD NO CODES BUT CH ENG LITE FLASHES ONCE IN A WHILE WHEN YOU PULL UP TO STOP SIGN ONLY FLASHES 1 TIME AND GOES OUT RETURNED TO SHOP RESCANNED NO CODES OR LOGGED EVENTS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK THANKS GREGG
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

Not sure why the light came on and there were no codes. That's odd. Lets try and pull the flash codes with the cruise control switches to be sure. If you have never done this, here is how.

Turn key on, engine off.

Turn cruise off.

Hold set or resume switch until yellow light starts blinking. Count the blinks. For example, blink, blink, pause, blink, blink, blink is a code 23. All flash codes are two digits. Let me know what you get.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1ST BLINKS 8 TIMES PAUSE 10 TIMES LET ME KNOW THANKS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GOT WRONG # XXXXX LAST CODE IT'S 12 NOT 10
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

Not sure about 8. But code 12 is a coolant level sensor fault. You may want to check the level sensor.
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience: 23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP ON THIS TRUCK WE DON'T SEE MANY C7'S MOSTLY 3406E AND C12 C15 THANKS A BUNCH GREGG
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.