Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
6825259

bobcat: Primer bulb..changed the fuel water separator filter.

Customer Question

Primer bulb collapses after bobcat runs for a short period of time. I have changed the fuel water separator filter. After a period of time.--8 hrs oo so, machine will start and run again for a short period of time, then dies again, same problem, collapsed fuel bulb, fuel starvation.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Wayne,
I will help you with this,
Good evening
I just have to ask this,
your primer bulb, is it rubber and between the line , rubber also

Let me Know
Wayne, Journeyman
Experience: 34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for that Info,

I went thru this 3-4 years ago, drove me crazy,
at Nephews Asphalt Co.
what I did after trying ll sort of things , NEW pump, lines , it was the bulb,
I by passed it , cut it out and joined the hose, the Thing ran perfect
I will never for get that one

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the bulb. This did not cure the problem. Any further guidance ?
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi OK<
This was not your Problem, but like I said , did not forget this

OK, next thing is remove fuel Cap
it sounds like it is going into Vapor /Vacuum

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Already checked the cap, not the problem. After machine shuts down I have disconnected fuel line from primer bulb, no fuel flowing to primer bulb. Reconnected primer bulb, pumped up system, machine starts and runs for estimated 30 minutes, then dies from fuel starvation.
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi
I know you said you checked the cap,
but did you leave it off
only thing left is a check valve
not opening , and sucking system dry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I did not leave it running with the cap off. Should I have left it in idle? What check valve and where is it located?
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi
sorry for the long delay,
all 7 grand kids here for S/Bowl

yes , leave Running , W/O cap on, see if is venting

check Valve is at fuel filter , If equipped, to let fuel no t back flow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None of the advise I received corrected the problem. I had to take the Bobcat to a repair shop. Thank you for trying to help.
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
I'm Sorry that we could not get it going,
But am happy, it runs now,
what did they find , if you don't mind me asking

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuel pickup tube inside fuel tank,was old & had broken off. Seems to be quite common as the machines get older. Had two different Bobcat mechanics tell me the same thing. Of course, they charged me an outrageous fee to fix it, plus having to haul it to town.

Don't guess I could get my money back from "justanswer"

At any rate, thanks for your ideas. I had run out.

Philip
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Phil

You can always ask for your refund,
I tried to help, spent some time with you, we were close,
But I was not there to see, always the problem

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
hello, Phil,

I should be a shamed of myself, forgetting the pick up tube,
I see you Received you complete refund,
I did not get 50% of question Value , for my time
But that is here nor there , glad it's going

God Bless,