catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case

caterpillar..of the hydraulics quit working..seatbelt

Customer Question

I have a caterpillar 236 skid steer. All of the hydraulics quit working as if there was a bad switch or seatbelt not on. Had all the switches checked that is not the problem. Starts and runs no bad noise. Could it be the main hydraulic pump or the coupler? How to know one or the outher?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 years ago.

Donnie : Start engine and check fan drive at radiator. If fan is not turning, pump drive has failed. Pump must be removed to reair drive.
JACUSTOMER-omtcwpol- :

Could it be the coupler form engine to hydraulic pump. Is there a way to get the tires to free wheel to move the skid steer with hydraulic pump not working?

Donnie :

Yes. The pump drive is also called the coupler. This has been a common problem. A new design is out, I think it has two clamp bolts and is slightly longer. They would slip out of the splines and cause them to strip off the teeth. Very early models had release screws on the side of the pump near the middle. All have been removed since and no towing option is available. CAT says to just drag it on the tires for short distances only. A medium sized fork lift will pick it up, it weighs around 7000 pounds.