Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

have a 1992 john deere 310 d backhoe...electric..parking brake is on

Customer Question

have a 1992 john deere 310 d backhoe. the electric brake will not release. it will move but the parking brake is on. i have checked the switch, fuid levels etc. The alternator does not appear to be charging so i am replacing that item
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

TP48/TP48822________UN29JUN95.gif
Full Size Image

curtis b :

The solenoid and actuator will not work with less than a full 12 volts, if the alternator is not keeping the battery at full charge, the brake will not release. Get the alternator repaired, be sure battery is charged and then you can check the actuator to see if it is moving the linkage to the park brake. The voltage has to be the first concern. Let me know. Thank you.

Customer :

I have the batteries on a charger and they are putting out 12.5 volts. i have ordered a new alternator. where is the actuator?

curtis b :

The actuator is under the unit, the park brake being around the drive line of the transmission output.

Customer :

have installed the new alternator which is now working, new switch, took the actuator out, it is working.... still at a loss.

curtis b :

Trace the wiring back from the actuator to the switch and see where power is lost. Sounds like there is no power to the actuator to make it work.

Customer :

have power to the actuator and it is working. There must be a blockage or filter in the actuator/sleinoid.

curtis b :

Could the actuator linkage just need to be adjusted?

Customer :

i can turn the brake off , crawl underneith and hit the brake arm with a hammer , knocking it forward about and inch and everything is fine, so this means the hydraulic presure is not enough to push the the spring off, now what? could there be a clogged filter somewhere?

curtis b :

There is a screen in the same block that houses the solenoid. It is under the nut, next to the solenoid. Item # XXXXX??