DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

n14 cummins that keeps eating injectors 1 and 4..wiring..fault codes

got an n14 cummins that keeps eating injectors 1 and 4 just inframed the engine have checked the wiring all ohms out fine not throwing any fault codes any ideas?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today. when you say eating injectors how are they failing? what are the symptoms that make you change the injectors.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the engine will start missing on 1 and 4 when i swap the injectors around in the engine the miss will move around with them put in all 6 cummins recon injectors in with the inframe and have been replaced 1 and 4 twice in less than 100 miles also the injector rocker will start rattleing when they go out

how are you adjusting them? are you using insite from the engine 6 pin connector to cut them out? Are all adjuster about the same hight after you adjusted them?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

screwing the adjust bolt till bottoms and backing out 2 flats just unpluging them to cut them out dont have the insite but had a guy bring his out to check it out for me and wasnt showing anything push rods are straight and all adjusters seem to be about the same height cam and follwers all looked good when had the pan off for the inframe going to take the ecm to cummins tomorrow to see if they can check the voltage output on the injector circut sounds like the injectors arent getting any fuel when they quit working and causing the rattle

The ecm controls the injectors but if when you swap the injectors to another cylinder and it follows to that cyl than the injector is bad. not the ecm. i'm thinking you may be applying too much crush to the injector. first of you don't bottom the injector, you just turn the adj screw until it stops with no force applied, Than back out 2 flats. . damage to the injectors will occur if you bottom out the injector to its max. another reason you may be having issues is the engine position sensor. check the connector for oil and remove the sensor and try a test one.

All overhead (valve and injector) adjustments must be made when the engine is cold (any stabilized coolant temperature at 60°C [140°F] or below).

Always adjust the injector first

When removing the excess fuel, do not apply crush to the injector timing plunger by further tightening the adjusting screw after the plunger is bottomed.

Do not apply crush to the injector timing plunger by further tightening the adjusting screw. Doing so will result in an incorrect injector lash setting and can cause excessive injection train wear.

DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience: 16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hopping that a rash of bad injectors is the problem just is kind of makeing me wonder with it being the same ones each time dont believe i am crushing the injectors not going tight with them stopping when resistance is felt then backing out the 2 flats adjusting the overhead cold also and setting injectors first thanks for the info
recon is known to produce bad injectors time to time. i have had 6 bad ones in a row once. it is uncommon though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im thinking this is the case also. Just going to be kinda pricey if they checkout ok when cummins checks them for warranty. Just trying to cover all the bases on this deal, its got me second guessing myself. Thanks again for the help

your welcome
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

little late on the reply but I did find the problem. I ended up replacing the fuel pump and it cured the problem. old one passed all test but was not supplying enough fuel for some reason