Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

Ford: mechanism..lift a heavy load when the tractor is first started.

I have a Ford/New Holland 1310. The lift mechanism on the PTO is not working. It will not lift a heavy load when the tractor is first started. If you run the tractor for about 30 minutes it will then lift properly. The fluid level in the PTO is right on the full mark. When the lift is engaged the ''release/air pressure valve' that sits right by the fluid fill spout release air on a regular basis. I have never noticed this before.  
The tractor was taken in to replace the clutch.  That was fixed but then the lift mechanism did not work.  Took it back and they said they replaced a gasket, but still does not work.  they suggested that there might be air in lines that need to work themselves out, but i have tried to work out the air for 6 months and it still does not work properly.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. This release air valve is nothing more than a vent for the unit. There should be no noticeable air escaping or oil coming out there. Has the hydraulic oil filter ever been changed? Mounted just before the hydraulic pump on the front of the unit. It sounds like the pump could be starving for fluid and is sucking air into the system, this would explain the air escaping, and after the oil gets thinner as it heats up, more would flow through the filter, letting unit work correctly, after it warms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Curtis,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the hydraulic oil filter was changed when the clutch was replaced.

There is no oil coming out of the release air valve - just air. And again to my knowledge that valve never release air untill I started having these issues.

There is no evidence of fluid leaking from a faulty gasket - and the fluid level has remained constant.

Should I just start by changing the hydraulic oil filter?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Start by checking each connection on the suction side of the hydraulic pump, this is the line the filter is in. Start where it comes from the transmission, look for bad o'ring or gaskets, back hose clamps on he connecting hoses , and the o'ring at the pump itself. Then change the filter and o'rings. To put the clutch in the tractor had to be split, this would be where you should be looking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you Curtis. I'll start on this tomorrow.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me know . Thank you.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts