Misfire, rough idle and poor performance on 2004 - 2007 466 and 570
2004- 2009 EGR MaxxForce DT 9 and10
Misfire, rough idle and low power can be caused by combustion gases in the fuel system.
- Low power on acceleration
- Misfire or rough running at idle
- Hard starting at times
- Aerated fuel
1. Remove the fuel filter and cap.
2. Fill the filter housing up with clean fresh diesel fuel up past the stand pipe.
3. Disconnect the IPR valve.
4. Have another tech crank the engine over.
5. Look for air bubbles coming up in the fuel filter housing.
6. If there are no bubbles coming up, then there are no combustion gases present.
7. If there are bubbles coming up, remove the injectors and inspect the compression seals for damage.
8. This is what you can expect to see if there are combustion gases in the fuel system
. The two to the left have lots of carbon on the base of the injector body, they can be cleaned up with a nylon brush.
10. Inspect the injector cups for damage or debris.
- After cleaning the injectors install new o-rings.
- Be sure to clean out any oil that has filled the injector hold down clamp bolt hole!
- If the hold down bolt holes are not cleaned, the injector hold down clamp will not be torque properly.
- The injector will not seat all the way down and can cause this issue all over again.
- If you have followed these steps and still have combustion gases in the fuel system open a case file with Tech Central.
- Be sure to follow the Engine Service Manuals below when installing these injectors.