Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
6825259

I have a Thermo King Tripac and it has an engine code but the button

I have a Thermo King Tripac and it has an engine code but the button does not need reset and the engine will not attempt to start. Any Ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago via Mitchell1DIY.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am I never heard anything yesterday
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Wayne,
I will help you with this,

Good afternoon,
What is your code
I have the manuals on them , worked for TK 34+ years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am Brent. It is the ENG code. The reset button is not popped, and when I go to start the Tripac it will turn the bunk fans on for about 5 sec. then will come up with the ENG code
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Brent
Let me get my book, look that up

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok not a problem
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Brent
Let me get my book, look that up

Did you clear the code, ENG,
How Alarm is Cleared
The alarm is cleared by pressing the HMI Control Panel Main Power On/Off switch. Turning the unit off clears
the alarm.
Resolve the condition that caused the alarm and press the Reset switch if necessary. Failure to resolve the
alarm condition will cause the alarm to re-occur.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right, I already turned off the control panel and the reset button does not pop when the ENG code appears as it usually does with any other Tripac I have. Where would I start to look for the problem? It was working fine then all of a sudden began to do this.
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.

Here is the Diagnose procedure

Circuit Description
The 8FET output from the Interface Board is energized when the TriPac unit is turned on. 8FET power is
supplied to the Engine On/Off switch located inside the APU. If the Engine On/Off switch is turned on power is
supplied by the 8X wire to the normally closed contacts in the Reset switch. As long as the Reset switch is
closed power is supplied on the 8 wire to the 8 terminal on the Interface Board.
See the drawing on the next page for details.
NOTE: If the unit is equipped with the optional DPF, an [Eng] alarm can be generated by the Regeneration
switch being placed in the “Off” position or if a DPF shutdown alarm occurs. Be sure the DPF Regeneration
Switch is in the ON position. If any DPF alarm codes are set, correct the problem and clear the alarm
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Here is more

Note 1 When the engine is required to
run and the 8FET output is energized,
power is supplied thru the Engine On/
Off Switch and NC Reset Switch to the
8 terminal on the Interface Board.
Note 2 If the 8FET output is energized
and power is not present at the 8
terminal on the Interface Board then
Alarm Code [Eng] is set.
Note 3 When the engine is required to
run the Run Relay is energized. This
supplies power on the 8D circuit to the
Reset Switch resistor and the hold coil
on the Fuel Solenoid. If high water
temperature or low engine oil pressure
occur, current flows thru the 20 circuit
to ground. This heats the reset switch
causing it to open. Power is removed
from the 8 terminal on the Interface
Board and Alarm Code [Eng] is set.
If the engine fails to start the normally
closed Low Oil Pressure switch will
cause the reset switch to trip and set
the [Eng] alarm code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found that the 8 FET fuse had been blown, and it started and is running fine after replacing it. Is there something that normally goes bad and causes it or should I be looking for a bare wire some place?
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hello,,

No that fuse will blow for no reason, or heavy amp draw on 8 circuit,
I would not worry about it , unless it happens again

If this helped you Please hit Accept, as this is the only way I get Paid,
If not get back to me

Wayne, Journeyman
Experience: 34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.