Dan, Mechanic
Experience:  21 Years working with the Volvo Equipment Line

I just purchased a 1971 ford 1500 diesel tractor and am having

Customer Question

I just purchased a 1971 ford 1500 diesel tractor and am having start-up problems. I open the fuel line and choke. I turn the key to the left for about 15 seconds to warm with glow plug. I turn the key to the right to start. It starts to crank, and even starts up strong, but then does off in about 5 seconds. There is quite a bit of black smoke that comes out of the exhaust. Any ideas? Thanks. Dave
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a Volvo Construction Equipment expert, I would like to try and assist you with your question.Does the machine have a mechanical or electric stop? Is there any fuel getting to the injectors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I am a novice at this. I have no idea how to answer your question. The engine does turn over -- so it is starting -- but seems to cough a lot and push our large billows of black smoke.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
It does start and run for a few seconds correct, or did it just start the one time? With regards XXXXX XXXXX electric stop, do you use a manual lever or cable to shut the motor down or is shut off by turning the key?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I apologize for being such a novice. I have never worked with a large piece of equipment ot a diesel engine. So this is all new to me.

There is a one-foot manual lever that is to the right of the steering wheel (I think it is the choke) that I use to shut the motor down. Basically, I sharve off the fuel. I do not shut it down with a key.

The motor does start a little each time and runs for 2-5 seconds. Is it possible I am "flooding" it with fuel?

Dave

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay the choke you refer to Is the fuel shut off. Normally that is pushed in to run, pulled out to start. Try that first push in and see if will start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I think I understood what you told me. Here is what I just did. 1) there is a little lever next to the fuel filter that I placed on "open." 2) I pulled out the choke to start like you said. Actually, it is a lever on the side of the steering wheel like a turn signal, so I pulled it down. 3) I turned the key to the left for 15 seconds to warm the glow plugs. 4) I turned the key to the right to start the engine. It started beautfully for 4 seconds then shut down as I tried to "push in" the choke. I tried it too other times. Once with a faster push in on the choke and once with a clower push in on the choke. -Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dan -- Also, I want to confirm the battery is very strong. The horn and headlights turn right on, so that is not the problem.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I wrote you a long reply and it apparently was lost in translation. Let me try to to send this first
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay that went through. I would agree it's not a battery issue. More likely you not getting fuel to the injectors. Can you remove the line from the fuel filter outlet to make sure fuel flows freely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I think I will need a little explanation with what you want me to do. I have never done anything like this before and I am not particularly mechanical. So you want me to remove the fuel line as it leads away from the fuel filter. (And not the line that goes from the fuel tank into the fuel filter). Is this correct? And if the fuel line is working correctly, fuel should gush out I think, right? And if it does not gush out that is where the problem is and I then need to back-track from there. Do I have this correctly? Also, if i do, do you have any tips to deal with the fuel squirting out onto the garage floor?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You are correct on th fuel line instruction. I would place a drip pan under the work area and some rags around the work area to direct the fuel into the pan. It should be clean fuel that runs out try to catch it in a small cup to see if it has water contamination. Water in diesel fuel will look like jelly lumps mixed with the fuel. It should run out not gush like under pressure. It all depends on how much fuel is in the tank. The gravity pushing on the fuel will be the only pressure. Additionally the diesel engine doesn't use a choke, so the handle you refer to as choke is the fuel shut off. Make sure you have it pushed in to start..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I have my phillips screwdriver ready and a bucket under the line from the fuel filter into the fuel injector. I tsted the screw and it will turn. Please confirm this is what you want me to test. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I was assuming the fuel lines were a 1/2 wrench size, what is the Phillips screw holding down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay. That went pretty well.

Phillips screwdriver -- from the fuel filter there is a little one-quarter inch metal fuel line receptical that connects to a small flexible fuel line that goes into the injector housing. The hose is connected to the metal fitting via a minature hose clamp (that takes a philipps screwdriver.

I unscrewed the clamp and slid the fuel line off. There was a slow stream like you said (the fuel tank holds about 5 gallons and I had filled it). I captured some of the fuel in a glass jar to analyze and then slid the fuel line back on and re-tightened it so I does not leak.

The diesel fuel looks good to me. It is the color of *light urine* and does not have any jelly-like clumping of anything else that looks unusual. So it looks like the fuel into the injector is flowing okay.

Okay, now back to the fuel shut-off. Because this might be Operator Error (me). As I am seated on the tractor and facinmg the steering wheel the fuel shut off is on the right hand side. If it is pushed up (and forward) I have the understanding that this is "off." And when I pull it down and towards my knee this is "on." Does this sound right to you?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I have Some old books, let me take a Look and see if we can find a common picture that will help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I am going to try it one more tim just in case something was flushed loose during the last process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dan,

I must have messed something up when I reconencted the hose line and hose clamp to the fitting because it would not even begin to start (as in no fuel getting to the injector).

Let's say we stop for the night, okay? It's New Year's Eve and time to relax a bit. I will try and back track in the morning on what I messed up. Will this work for you?

Also, I am in New Jersey. Where do you hail from?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I will want you to bleed the injectors next, and I will look for some info to assist you visually. Have a good new years thanks Dan
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Here is a couple of pictures of the machine I hope you have. I would bleed the injection pump and injectors next following the instructions listed in material. I will try to check back in the am for updated info. Bear in mind that clogged injectors can be a contributing factor, or worn injection pump. Thank Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I have been ill (cold/flu) and needed to drop away for sev eral days. I am ready to accept your answer -- you have been very helpful and althought he problem is not solved you have moved me a long way to understanding the next steps i should be taking. So I am safisfied with your responses. Appreciative too! One question though -- I did not receive the pictures you reference or the instructions regarding how to bleed the injection pump. Will you please try and send these again? I will then indicate "Accept Answer." Thanks, Dave

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave, sure I can send those tonight when I get home. Thanks for the update Dan.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dave, here is the photos I sent previously. I hope this is the right tractor. I believe it is. There is a couple photos on the throttle control. It is also couple of photos on the injection pump bleeding. And also how to take the unit injectors out. If you need more information. I will try to do my best to help you. Thank you, Dan.

PS the fourth page has the bleeder screw on the injection pump. The last page has the injections removal and installation. Just as a last resort.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic