Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

I have a John Deere skid steer loader model 170 and it..lever..faster

Customer Question

I have a John Deere skid steer loader model 170 and it's a 1977 and I can't make the variable speed to work. The machine has been setting for quit awhile before I bought it it needed a different motor and the guy I bought it from put a different motor in it and it seems to run pretty good and the hydralics work good, but it's stuck in the slow speed and when I move the variable speed lever to fast the motor changes pitch a little, but it doesn' go any faster. So was wondering if anyone knows anything about these models? Also does it hurt to mix hydralic oil with transmission fluid for the hydralic system? Thanks, Russ
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Walt, Thanks for your repley, I've been very disappointed in not getting any response from no one at JustAnswer, I understand that it might take awhile, but not to get even an acknowlegment that your company got my question this long is frustrating. I was figuring that it is all a scam. To answer your question is that no I haven't gotten an anwser yet, still waiting. Russ
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You responded that you need more information from me, what do you need to know?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. For the variable drive to work, the pulley on the drive has to move. If you remove the belt and work the variable valve, does the pulley move to narrow the belt groove? This is how the variable drive works, by narrowing and widening the groove on the pulley. It is possible the pulley is stuck and not moving.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Curtis, Thanks for your reply. When I move the lever to the fast speed with the engine running the small pully is turning but does not move in and out at all. The engine changes pitch just a little, but thats all so that tells me that something is trying to work, right? So if the small pully is perhaps stuck open how do I free it up? Or do you think it might be something else? I'm on the road (truck driver) all week so it might take me quite awhile to get back to you. Thanks,Russ
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
For unit to speed up, the pulley has to in, making the belt move out, which increases the speed. The pulley can be examined and checked, it shows a breakdown in the deere parts list. Let me give you site. You will have to input your model number and then you can find pulley under the drive train. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Curtis for the web site I will try that. Do you think that the pully is just stuck and if so do you think that I will have to take it apart or just try to somehow to sweeze it together manually or do you think something else causing the problem? What makes the pully work in and out, is there some kind of hydraulic cylinder in it? Thanks, Russ
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
You should be able to move the pulley manually. It would be easier with the belt off. It has to be the drive or driven pulley, they both have to move and change shape for the variable drive to work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the web page, thanks. I won't be able to try to get the drive pully to move till this weekend. I forced the driven one open last weekend by pounding a wedge in between it and then sprayed lubricant on the pins. Is there anything else that I should try or check? Thanks, Russ
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
NO, I think you will find it is the pulley problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Curtis for all your help. I hope just getting the drive pully broke loose does the trick. I will be working on it this weekend or the first part of next week being I'm on vacation. If I have any more question can I ask for your help again? Oh I had asked you about the hydraulic oil in the beginning. I didn't know what kind of oil it used when I first got the machine and it was low so I bought hydraulic oil and found out when I bought a service manual that it was suppose to have automatic transmission oil so will this cause any problems? I asked one of our truck techs and he said no. Also I had asked what makes the drive pully work in and out? Thanks again for all your help it's been a pleasure working with you and may you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Russ
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
I will be available after Monday, have family outing this weekend. No , mixing the oil will not hurt the unit. And the pulley should move in and out by the use of the variable speed hydraulic control. You see the hydraulic line running into the end of the drive pulley, this is where the pressure from the control has to move the pulley. There are seals in the rotating end and shows a seal kit for it. Variable drive assembly, item #37..
Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the feed back!!!