JANECZFJ
JANECZFJ, District Service Manager
Experience:  Recently retired District Service Manager for major supplier of HD drivetrain & brakes.
62460088

I have a 2006 columbia freightliner.where are ALL the fuse

Customer Question

I have a 2006 columbia freightliner.where are ALL the fuse box locations! why? will not crank when ignition all the way. will sweep and show power on instrument panel but will not turn over. Do I have a blown fuse due to quick shift paddle on column. digital meter shows 37,3A,07AL,and CH. Am I stuck between gears and will not allow motor to turn? I have disconnected batteries and all good. Thought it might clear computer read....no change. I was hooking up trailer and when ready to pull forward would not go in gear after idling in neutral. I shut it down and would not start! Thoughts....really in a bind...thanks
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer.i can help you with this..when you get the A L message that means air low,get the air up on the truck with a external sorce,then you should be good,if the air tank pressure is low on the truck,she won't start,alittle unwritten flaw with you automated transmission.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i get air up on truck? where would I attach external source?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i get air up on truck? where would I attach external source? again it will not crank at all therefore added air will help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  JANECZFJ replied 2 years ago.
Good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you, but I have a few questions. Is the trans fully automated with no clutch pedal. Is it a 10 or 12 speed transmission?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

fully automatic 12 speed with SMART SHIFT on the column. small yellow tab to switch between R-N-F. also a tab on shift for man-auto...again will not crank after qauge sweep.I jumped starter and it started right up but will not go in gear therefore batteries and power good.when turned off will not crank over! A relay or fuse blown? transmission stuck in a gear and not allow ignition to starter?

thanks

Expert:  JANECZFJ replied 2 years ago.
OK that's a ZFMeritor Freedoline transmission. I'm not understanding what you are saying. Did you say you jump stated the truck and it started? If that's the case your are neutral but the transmission won't go into gear? If that's the case the transmission is not locked in gear. There is a fuse for the transmission near the batteries if you follow a heavy wire from the battery terminal to a plastic fuse holder you will see it. That fuse has a habit of coming loose and corroding, check that and let me know if I'm right about you saying the truck can be jump started but will not go into gear. How did you get those codes were they used on the paddle or did you pull them using the paddle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes you are correc.this is a freedomline transmission (allison?) and I did jump start to by pass ignition. doing that would mean its in neutral gear. But when trying to start at key it will not crank.I did find a box next to batteries (Bussman) and appeared ok. hard to tell as they are the metal fuses.I switched around with no sucess.codes appear on meritor digitl gauge when key on during sweep.alternating between codes 37,E7,3A,21,F,AL,and CH.then just switching between CH and AL..

thanks

Expert:  JANECZFJ replied 2 years ago.
It's not Allison, It's a joint venture deal between Meritor & ZF. AL means the transmission is not getting air. It has a separate isolated air tank, even if your dash gauge show air the trans may not have air, a code 37 is about a shift solenoid issue. I will need more complete codes to tell you more. do you want me to send you the procedure to get codes using the shift paddle ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok this is where I am at now....jumped engine to allow air tanks to build air....waiting now...current code is stuck on SM ???will let idle to build up air then see if this helps but concerned about code and not showing Neutral on gauge...can not find further fuses...yes if you can send shift paddle codes would be helpful....thanks
Expert:  JANECZFJ replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 2011-11-21_162304_smartshift_code_retrieval.pdf

SM means system malfunction. I will attach the procedure. When you get the codes send them to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will print what you sent and get to you asap...air built up on truck with no changes...your a great help!
Expert:  JANECZFJ replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i cleared codes E7,3A,21,...started up! I believe there may be a pin hole leak on secondary air tank as that gauge seems to lose air a litle quicker when shut down.this will get me buy till i get into a shop to check air regulator from transmission.thanks again!
Expert:  JANECZFJ replied 2 years ago.
Glad I was able to help. Please hit the accept button, if you don't the web site gets paid but I don't.
JANECZFJ, District Service Manager
Experience: Recently retired District Service Manager for major supplier of HD drivetrain & brakes.