DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,

how do you keep a 2012 freightliner cascadia idleing all night

Customer Question

how do you keep a 2012 freightliner cascadia idleing all night without starting it every 30 min and having to release the tractor brake so it even last that long,otherwise with brake on its 5 min, im not a mechanic so i cant do some big fix.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today. you would have to have the idle shut down feature shut down in the ecm, than it will not shut down for idling, you can also increase the rpm to keep it off idle with the idle up/ down switch or the set resume switch. the dealer can make proper adjustments to the computers to help. FYI idling is not good practice for these engines. look into getting an bunk heater/ac unit installed to save the engine and fuel consumption
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No dealer I havespoken to and i have spoken to over 15 dealers will touch the ecm to shut down feature because it violates the Federal DEP directives for california emmisions certified vehicles. i already went that route months ago. also no outside mechanic that knows the engine will do it. If i have it done it invalidates all the freightliner warranties.
Than you have no other options but to install a climate control system for the cab/bunk. I suggest climacab apu unit.
Expert:  Clayton replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Thanks for using Just Answer, But I have a little more information than Dr Cummins is able to provide.

All Detroit Dealers can program your ECM to meet California emission requirements and will allow them to idle at extended periods of time. It will be at Cost to the Fleet Owner/Operator and a request to Detroit Diesel will have to be sent.

Here is the Service letter sent to all Detroit Dealers. I also have this in PDF form if you want it.

TO: All Service & OEM Locations

Fleet Customers

Warranty Managers

FROM: S ervice Opera tions

SUBJECT: California Clean Idle (30 Gram Calibrations)

NOTE: This document replaces 08 CSA-21Rev, 09 CSA-37Rev, and 10 CSA-26Rev.

SUBJECT DETAIL

In order for trucks to idle for extended periods in California, engines built in 2008 and later are

limited to a certain NOx level.

Clean Idle calibrations are available for 2007 and newer Series 60, DD Platform, MBE 4000,

and MBE 900 engines. These new calibrations allow a unit to idle at reduced speeds (most are

limited to 900 rpm).

 Current engines built to the 2007/2008 model year emissions will not automatically update to

the clean idle version when the MCM/CPC is programmed.

 All engines desired to be 30 gram compliant will require the mainframe to be changed by

DDC prior to programming.

 All vehicles will also require a "Clean Idle" vehicle label which has a unique serial number on

each label and must be applied to the hood or door on the driver's side.

 All 2007/2008 updated engines will require a supplemental engine emissions label. 2009

and later engines do not require a supplemental engine emissions label.

 Some engines will require the engine emissions label to be replaced.

 Engine Serial Number (ESN), Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and label ESN must be

documented at DDC.

 It is the sole responsibility of the requesting location to ensure the proper clean idle label is

installed on the truck identified in the clean idle request. Do not use this label for any other

vehicle than that for which it was assigned. Failure to do so may result in non-compliance

penalties for the requesting location.

 The EPA has the authority under the Clean Air Act to assess a fine of up to $32,500 per

engine for violations of the Clear Air Act. Failure to properly label the engine or vehicle is a

violation of the Clean Air Act. If a label is damaged for any reason, the available remains of

the label must be returned to DDC for a replacement with the full ESN and VIN.

11 CSA-11 2 4/14/2011

 Labels that have been lost or discarded are the responsibility of the requesting location.

 All replacement label requests require an explanation or reason for replacement and the

label serial number from the label being replaced. The reason and the label serial number

immediately below the bar code must be identified on the attached clean idle label request

form. If for some reason the label is severely damaged and the serial number is unreadable,

send pictures and return the remains of the label.

Requests to enable Clean Idle must come to the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center

(CSC). Please note that the contact information for the CSC can be found at the bottom of this

letter and also on the Clean Idle Vehicle Label Request form. The CSC will change the DDC

mainframe and ship the labels that are required. The labels must be installed at the point the

engine is programmed. Make every effort to schedule this work so that you have the labels

when the truck is available and ready for programming. Failure to do so may result in noncompliance

penalties.

The form at the end of this letter can be used to provide the information DDC will require to

process your request.

GENERAL INFORMATION

The Customer Support Center is charging for clean idle.

There are two options for payment:

 Warranty System: These debits will be identified as ‘Field Service' on the DTNA billing

document and net on your warranty statement. If your warranty balance is zero at the

time of the charge, you should remit according to the billing document.

 VISA/MasterCard or American Express credit cards: If you choose to pay by credit card,

once your request is received, you will be contacted to provide credit card information.

Once the credit card is processed, the clean idle label request will be filled. A receipt will

be included with the label.

To order clean idle, complete the updated form included in this letter and fax or email as

directed in the instructions.

Charges are as follows:

 New Clean Idle Label with Mainframe Change $150.00 each

 Clean Idle Replacement Labels $100.00 each

11 CSA-11 3 4/14/2011

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

MCM/CPC programming for Clean Idle can be done as part of any open Modifications or

Campaigns. If a warrantable failure occurs that mandates that the MCM/CPC be reprogrammed,

Clean Idle can be enabled at that time.

The CSC will make every effort to respond immediately, but would appreciate up to seven days

to process the clean idle request and ship material.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Please contact the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 800-445-1980 or email

csc@daimler.com if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thats crazy to do all that and as i stated they will not do it.

Than as stated you have no other options but to install a climate control system for the cab/bunk. I suggest climacab apu unit

http://www.glacierbaytechnology.com/products/climacab-electric-apu/

Expert:  Clayton replied 2 years ago.

My dealership has done lots of the Clean Idle reprograms. I would have rather pay somebody $150 to reprogram it LEGALLY, and still be under the strict guidelines of the California Emissions, than pay somebody $5000 or more dollars to put a Anti-idle unit on it.

I do not know why the dealership does not want to do it. Like I said, my dealership has no problem in doing it.

But it is your choice. We have given you both options

APU (Auxiliary Power Units) controls climate control and electricity when parked. These units are started when the main diesel engine is shut down and use a very minimal amount of fuel to operate. The cost of an APU installed start at about $3,000 and up, and help in fuel savings over idling the main engine, pay for themselves fully in less than 1 year..