Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
6825259

pusing coolant out the hole on the plastic resivour tank.

Customer Question

I've got a 2006 mack vision. It is pusing coolant out the hole on the plastic resivour tank. Thought it was thermostats so i replaced those. Still pushed coolant. Replaced cap stopped leak temporarly but busted lower radiator hose. replaced hose but then busted raidiator replaced radiator. Still spewing out coolant out weeb hole in resivour cap. Upon further investigation noticed oil in my air tanks lots of black motor oil so now its in the shop getting the air compressor replaced. But im concerned that my problem wont stop there. On that year and model truck there is a service bulliten to update the coolling system. It has all of those updates. Any suggestions
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 years ago.

wayne :

Hi I'm Wayne, I will help you with this,

wayne :

Good morning ,

wayne :

This sounds like to me you have a bad head gasket on Air compressor .......

wayne :

drain down air tanks, remove big feed line (supply) , run truck and see is it quits, (sure it will)

wayne :

Need to replace Compressor

wayne :

If this helped ou, please hit accept......if not get back to me

Customer :

Truck is at bruckners truck shop. Air compressor is being replaced by new one right now. I'm hoping that will solve my problem as you have suggested. But i'm not 100% sure that it will resolve the issue. My concern is that i believe the over pressurizing in the cooling system is what caused all these failures and that it will contine? As i replace a new item on the system it's just finding a weaker point of exit. Thus busting somthing else. something that i failed to mention is that i believe the root cause of this problem was that about a month ago i had my truck serviced and they over filled the motor with motor oil by at least a gallon or more. That busted the gasket on the oil filter housing and the gasket on rear valve cover. Fixed that and then the overpressurizing on the cooling system began. Do you think that overfilling caused all of these failures? Could that also cause the gasket on the air compressor to fail?

wayne :

Good Afternoon,

wayne :

over filling the oil system, would not cause pressure in cooling system, yes it will cause leaks , in rear and other places

wayne :

of oil system

wayne :

I believe this is just a Fluke, , be a engine re builder 34+ years , I can say this with sound opinion

wayne :

the 2 things that will cause this is Compressor head gasket 98%

wayne :

the other thing is injector o-Rings

wayne :

But I would start with Compressor, which you are about to do

wayne :

If this helped you, Please hit Accept.....if not get back to me

wayne :

Good evening,, just wondering if this helped, and how you made out with this issue

wayne :

If it helped , please hit Accept.............