Clayton, Mechanic
Experience:  5+ Years at Freightliner, Detroit & MBE Certified, ATD, and Electrical

I have a 2012 Cascadia w/ a Detroit DD15 engine. It is showing

I have a 2012 Cascadia w/ a Detroit DD15 engine. It is showing a fault code of EEC 61. Could you please tell me what this fault code means. Thanx
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Clayton replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer, I am Clayton. I can help you with this.

EEC 61 is only part of the fault code. If you hit the square button again,write it down, then hit it again, then write that down. it should follow up with some more additional information that I need to get you a more accurate answer.

EEC 61 is basically saying there is a problem in the After-treatment control module. This is the module the Engine uses for the aftertreatment system. Your Check Engine Light, and/or your Maintenance light will be on at the same time.

The maintenance light is the light that looks like a solid yellow engine.

Make sure your DEF tank is 1/2 to FULL, you have a indicator on your fuel guage with 4 green squares, this is your DEF level.

If your DEF got low, it will throw a EEC61, but you need to fill the DEF tank 1/2 full or more. After you drive awhile, after 3 key cycles that light should go off. IF THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

If you do not fill it up, the Engine will Derate to 25%, then if you continue to drive, it will derate you to 5 miles per hour.

This is just a little bit of info, if I had some more info, I could narrow it down before you take it to the dealer, especially if it is just low of DEF.

If the truck was low on Air pressure when you turned the truck off, the DEF system performs a purge routine to clear the lines, if it does not detect air pressure, it will set this also.

Most likely your truck is still under warranty, if you continue to have a problem, I suggest taking it to the dealer.