DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

Caseih stx 480, engine fault code 491. What is it

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.

CODEREASONEFFECT
Fault Code: 491
PID: S088
SPN: 1189
FMI: 3/3
LAMP: Yellow
SRT:

High voltage detected at the wastegate actuator number 2 circuit when no voltage was being supplied by the electronic control module (ECM).

Engine will run derated.

The wastegate controller is located on the air inlet horn. Actuator number 2 is the rear most solenoid on the controller.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It seems to be running fine, is this something I can run until it starts to derate ? What are usual cause of it?. Thks
If this code Is active it will derate the eng. the cause is. Always a failed selinoid .it should be replaced . There not expensive at all
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a steinbaurer box on it, its been on for 3 years, I wonder it its causing the issue, or if it is keeping it from derating. The tractor seems to run fine , funny the fault just went out , but it was active for about 2 hours . I'll get the sol. Replaced today. Thanks again.
Those sel act funny they will fail at different times it may just be sticking , still replace