DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

1994 kenworth t-600 with a n14 cummins S/N 60516015..shuts..idling

I have a 1994 Kenworth t-600 with a N14 cummins S/N 60516015 that shuts its self down while idling, it doesn't do it on a consistent time, it just decides when to shut off by its self...
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.ok with the engine running shake the entire engine harness and power supply to the engine, there are fuses on the harness and in batt box, by the starter also make sure to wiggle them. this is the easiest way to find a bad connection that could shut you down. also check the fuel shut off solenoid, when it shuts down see if there is power on that wire at the post of the solenoid, leave the key in the on position.and see if you have check engine lights that come on and go off. these are all signs of power lost/ interruptions. worst case it is the ecm causing this, try a test one and see if it cures it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the shutdown solinoid is turning off, shutting it down, no amount of shaking or wiggling the harness will bring it back, I have to turn off the keyswitch and turn it back on, then it runs again. It runs for 10 minutes before shut off one time, 45 minutes another, but never does it while driving, only at an idle

did you measure the power to the solenoid. ? when it shuts down, are there engine lights on the dash. when it goes down. if shaking will not restore the power but with the engine running and you shake it will kill the engine, YOUR trying to duplicate the issue at this point) than pinpoint and fix. this is why i said to shake, and what you just described to me is that either there is a power interruption to the ecm for that split second or there is an internal failure within the ecm, as i asked was a test ecm put on the engine to eliminate that possibility ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't checked the amount of power at the solenoid yet, no check engine lights come on at all, until the engine has stopped running, then the low oil pressure light comes on, like normal, the check engine light does work, it just isn't throwing any codes, I had cummins plug into it, it isn't telling the computer anything is wrong, it won't shut off by wiggling the harness either, how many volts/amps should the solenoid supposed to have
The fuel shutoff solenoid is a device used by the ECM to control the engine fuel supply. The ECM can shut down the engine by cutting off the power to the fuel shutoff solenoid there will be 12v there on that wire IF THE ECM IS WORKING CORRECTLY. If the 12v is present on that wire than the ecm is still energized and ok, and the solenoid is bad.replace the entire solenoid and the guts inside, they sell a fuel shut off solenoid kit so all parts will come together. if there is NO power on that wire than the ecm power supply has been interrupted or there is an issue in the ecm allowing it to power down the solenoid/ ecm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thank you

Your welcome. Thanks again